I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

stiffed for a repair
Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: September 27, 2014 11:27AM

Last night a guy picked up a repair I did and brought two 100 dollar bills for a $25.00 repair. I'm a retired dentist and have seen all the tricks to not pay.
How do you guys handle repair jobs with clients you don't know? Pay first? Greet them at the pickup time with a club??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: stiffed for a repair
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 27, 2014 12:21PM

Harry,
Pretty simple, go with the rod over to the local convenience store and cash the $100 bill and get paid.

Be safe

Posted by: Pat Barnard (12.227.181.---)
Date: September 27, 2014 02:04PM

Tell him you don't have change then take the $200 for a downpayment on a custom rod.

Pat Barnard

Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: September 27, 2014 02:22PM

Tried to. They wouldn't cash it without a purchase. By this time I became curious to see if he'd return to pay, but in the future it'll be pay first.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: September 27, 2014 02:48PM

On a repair, I do not command an up front fee. After all, I have the rod, and their receipt for it states, goods left over 120 days without payment will be sold for charges.
Bottom line, no payment, no rod.

Ron Weber

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 27, 2014 04:33PM

If you can sell the rod for $25, you're okay. If not, well, he got you.

I assume you did not let him take the rod.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 27, 2014 05:27PM

Harry,
You should have purchased a candy bar with the $100 bill and they would have given you the change.

Be safe

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 27, 2014 07:17PM

Duplicate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2014 07:18PM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Date: September 27, 2014 07:17PM

NO MONEY-NO ROD Come back with the Right Amount

Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 27, 2014 10:18PM

I always have my money before they get the rod. You should have told him to go get the correct amount then return for the rod. I call my customers and let them know the repair is complete and the charge is X amount so there is no excuse for them to not have the correct amount. If it's a person I have not dealt with and they want write a check I tell them no rod until check clears. Then most of the time they pull out the amount in cash.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 27, 2014 10:50PM

Mr. Bell, There is no insurance company that will reemburse you for rod repair. (as you are used too) Be prepared for payment of any kind., From retires that have no momery to the wealthy that carry no cash. Unless you repair for shops, (which is cash only) you better hammer it out right from the get go. CASH ON THE BARRELHEAD AT TIME OF DELIVERY. 100 dollar bills are as common as pulling wisdom teeth.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: gary Marquardt (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: September 27, 2014 11:04PM

Harry, do you still have the guys contact info? Give him a call tomorrow and say he owes you. Then every other day until he comes thru.. If not chalk one up..
I had one guy try to stiff me by saying I overcharged him. I told to check the price on the original quote. My policy is 21 days after I inform you that the rod is done. I told this slacker that on day 22 I would send him the E a Bay listing number and he could find his rod there. Money showed up 2 days later.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 27, 2014 11:33PM

Simple
Money for parts Then order parts
When the rod is done - The money in hand Checks have to clear first

Are you making a million on each rod - heck no - So get the money for what you do

NO MONEY NO ROD Roger has common sense Cash the bill

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 28, 2014 05:23PM

ONLY Checks I take have Pictures of Dead Presidents and Old Famous People

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 28, 2014 05:40PM

If they clear and are good They can be old and dead as long as they want

Always have any checks CLEAR first then give the rod over

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Satterfield (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 28, 2014 06:58PM

No money no rod. I had a guy try to strong are me and found out very fast that is the wrong way

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: September 29, 2014 12:42PM

Eh,

This is why I hate doing repairs, you tend to deal with some unsavory people that would never walk through your doors for a custom build. I'd honestly rather do a guy a one time favor and do a simple repair for free for the goodwill value than receive a small amount of cash.

I knew of a guy who traveled to gun importers to hand selected specimen guns to resell. He passed a while back, but was very old school in his approach to business. You sent him a check for a gun, and the gun went out to your ffl dealer that same day. His bank was a bit of a drive for him so a few days later, he'd gather the checks and then go deposit them. I was really surprised that he would ship a gun to a stranger's ffl dealer before depositing checks, let alone waiting for them to clear. When I asked him about this, he quipped back something like, "in 40 some years of doing business I've never been stiffed by a gunny, and I don't think your going to be the first ... are you?" I always remember that. The rest of the story I didn't figure out until later was that, before he sold you a gun he talked to you on the phone at length and basically judged your character, if he approved of you he had a gun for you, if he didn't approve of you he just didn't have what you were looking for (nor would he ever have what you were looking for).

For rodbuilders, I know it's different if rodbuilding and repairs are your main income, but for many of us It's not. When I retire soon, I probably will begin to do more of the repair work I now turn away to other people. With repairs, I'll probably just do cash in advance for everyone except repeat customers who I've built custom rods for (they've already demonstrated to me they'll handle a financial transaction in a professional manner). You get their cash up front and all you should have to deal with are the no-shows who never come back to pick up the rods. But hey, you already have their money and that's what this whole thread is about.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: September 29, 2014 02:24PM

When you do repairs you have the persons rod in your hands. No cash no rod its pretty simple. Then sell the rod on @#$%& or find a kid that wants a rod.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Scott Grady (---.applwi.dedicated.static.tds.net)
Date: September 29, 2014 04:35PM

Well I guess I will take a different approach. If you are in business, having some change on hand is part of doing business.
There is no good reason to not have the ability to make change for a $100 bill, less your charges.
JMHO
Scott

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster