I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

removing a reel seat
Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: September 26, 2014 10:06PM

Can anyone tell me how to remove a steel fly reel seat from a graphite blank??
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: removing a reel seat
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 26, 2014 10:32PM

Most likely you'll have to spiral cut it off, being careful not to cut into the rod blank. Is it steel, or aluminum? I suspect the latter.

There is always a chance that you can boil the rod butt portion and perhaps break the adhesive bond. But this isn't a guaranteed thing.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 26, 2014 10:58PM

I have had great success by placing the reel seat in poly bag (zip lock) to keep it dry and then boiling it in water for 10-15 minutes, then twisting the grip off. It may take a couple of attempts, but has never failed for me. In most cases I've been able to reuse the seat.

Date: September 27, 2014 11:21AM

This is on a centerpin setup. The butt grip is already in place and it's made of birch bark, so I can't boil it. Looks like I'm going to have to cut it off. I have a dremel with a cutting wheel that should work if I can stay away from the blank. Tom K suggested a spiral cut so I thank him for that info. Here goes......

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 27, 2014 11:49AM

Harry,
When I cut a reel seat off a blank, I use a parallel cut down each side of the reel seat.
Then, I put a screwdriver into the cut and twist it. The twisting action forces the seat apart and off of the blank.

Good luck

Date: September 27, 2014 12:13PM

Thank you Roger, I wasn't sure that would work, but that's what I was hoping I could do. I think I'd probably hit the blank for sure trying a spiral cut.
Thanks for the response. Hope all is well
HT

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 27, 2014 11:24PM

Harry, Getting thereelseat off is not a problem, putting a new one on without removing the rear giip is.Either cut the grip in half and slide a new one on and peice it back togeather or remove the rear grip,slide a new reelseat in place, and rebuild the rear grip.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2014 07:36PM

Dennis, it is a fly rod, why would he have to remove the rear grip? Unless it is a two hander it should only have one grip!!

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: September 28, 2014 10:41PM

Wrong, he said its on a centerpin rod, and they have a fore and aft grip

Ron Weber

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-131.myvzw.com)
Date: September 29, 2014 12:53AM

But he didn't say whether or not the fore grip is on.....

Chris

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: September 29, 2014 12:58PM

Ron, you are right,, I somehow glossed over the center pin reference. Randy

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 29, 2014 07:20PM

Take the seat off The easiest way
Take a foregrip and guides off Too much work
take the butt grip off and put the new one on Easier

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster