I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

seeking an extra fast blank
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 26, 2014 09:19PM

I'm looking for a 9' two-piece blank with the extreme fast tip of a hot-shot blank to cast weights of around 1/2 ounce. I would appreciate your suggestions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: seeking an extra fast blank
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: September 26, 2014 10:48PM

Couldn't you stretch a Batson HS1021?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 27, 2014 02:26AM

Phil,
Check out all of the new rods from batson. Many have extra fast tips on them.

Be safe

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (---.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl)
Date: September 27, 2014 11:34AM

Are you sure you need a hot shot-type extra fast blank to cast 1/2 oz. weights? There is e.g. the Batson XST1082F steelhead blank. Casts up to 1/2 oz., line up to 10 lb. Similar blank specs are available from St.Croix and North Fork Composites. However all these blanks are fast action.
Cheers,
Michal

Date: September 27, 2014 04:24PM

Mike: I built a fly rod on a Batson 8 1/2 foot hotshot blank. It made an easy loading, smooth and long casting 11 wt. fly rod. I would like to build another - for my own use - but in the 9 wt. range, which explains the 1/2 ounce specification. That's what the first 30 feet of a nine weight line weighs. The tip-action and powerful butt of a hotshot taper blank make a fine fly rod at a fine price.

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (---.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl)
Date: September 28, 2014 03:08PM

9'? Sounds to me like a custom blank ...

Date: September 28, 2014 03:35PM

Thanks, Michal, you jarred my hide-bound brain. I can extend the butt of a mass-produced hot-shot blank to produce the radius/tip speed I want in a fly rod.
NOW I am looking for a hot-shot or similar blank 7'6'' or longer that will effectively cast a weight of up to 1/2 ounce. Any suggestions? If I can obtain such a blank I am quite confident I can build a 9 wt. fly rod which will perform very near as well as an $850 fly rod for a fraction of the price and many times more satisfaction for me.

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (193.201.167.---)
Date: September 29, 2014 03:12AM

HS9600-2-MHX - good stuff and will not break the bank :-)

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 29, 2014 08:28PM

Phil, which blank did you build the 11 weight on?

I have the hs9600-2 mhx but have not tried a fly reel on it. It will handle a 1/2 ounce but likes less.....it will cast 1/16 ounce. I also have a hs1023f built as a spinning rod and I did put a fly reel on it with 7 weight line. Did quite good and wouldn't think it needed 11 weight to come alive so I'm curious. Then I was casting two handed and more than 30 feet of line:)

I strongly agree with what you are thinking. I suggested that they would make a dandy "blue water" fly rod that would actually cast a fly a good distance. Tom has mentioned building on back bounce blanks so you might give them a try. I also think a live bait blank would do the trick and suggest trying a rclb80xl. I have one and the price is a good bit lower. Nice soft limber tip with a big butt.....composite so rugged....still surprisingly light in the hand....but I think it might come out a little higher line class than hoped for. 50 bucks....and if you need to clamp down on a 20# tippet and turn that fish....I'd feel comfortable promising you the line breaks first.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: September 30, 2014 05:20PM

Russ: I wish I could remember, but I think it was a 2-piece Rainshadow blank. I guarantee you it throws a bobby-pin loop if you have a moderate ability to double-haul, and it has enough backbone to deal with saltwater fish over 25 pounds. I'm too old and too old school to go two-hands. I'm thinking about a Rainshadow HS1021F blank but It might be the same as the one I have had for years? There is a deflection test which accurately determines the best fly line weight for a blank - any blank - but marketers provide more hype than objective information.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster