I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stiffening a rod blank?
Posted by: Ed Sabatini (---.interserver.net)
Date: September 22, 2014 04:19PM

I am sure this has been discussed before and I am sure there is a valid reason not to do it, but I have a medium power rod blank that is almost perfect if it was just a little bit stiffer. If I added some of the expanding foam into the butt and let it rise, shaved it even and then put the butt cap back on, would that not add a little stiffness to the blank? I know it will add some small amount of weight but I am not overly concerned about that. Just need a little stiffer blank. What say you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stiffening a rod blank?
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 22, 2014 04:53PM

It may work if it got far enough into the blank, but probably only temporarily, as it will break down under constant flexing of the rod.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 22, 2014 05:15PM

How much does the lure weigh that you are using
Sounds like the rod is TOO light for the lure and you need maybe one up on a rod -- according to the lure spects and lure weight

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: September 22, 2014 06:30PM

Do you think the expanding foam will adhere to the blank wall after casting and fighting a fish? What about over time?

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 22, 2014 06:39PM

I think all it will do is to deaden the blank taking away from its ability to transmit subtle vibrations thus making it harder to detect a fish bite.

Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 22, 2014 08:02PM

Cutting a half inch (or even an inch) off the tip may be a solution. It would slow the action slightly and may (or may not) require respacing the guides. I do this with many of my rods where I want increased stiffness (more power and increased lure weights).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2014 07:27AM by jim spooner.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 23, 2014 10:41AM

X10 on Jim's comment.

Any time that I want to stiffen the blank a bit, I just cut a bit from the tip. Often, cutting as little as 1/2 in inch gives me the extra stiffness that I would like.

Be safe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 23, 2014 03:50PM

tape a guide on about 1/2" from the tip ring Go out and test cast it using the tapped guide as the top Then try 1" until you feel it casts well for you

Then cut

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: September 23, 2014 07:15PM

No, I do not think foam will stiffen the blank. I think you are pretty much stuck with what it is. Cutting tip, maybe, if you just want to change the casting characteristics. I like the idea of testing casting it with a guide and do a CC test on it with the guide where you are thinking about cutting the tip.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 23, 2014 08:56PM

Bill has the right idea to test the concept without destroying the rod. My experience is that whenever I've taken an inch off the tip, I didn't like the result. Maybe it's in my head, but it just seems like the blank isn't right any more. Feels dead.

Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 24, 2014 09:41AM

Agreed, taking more than ½” can make a rod less versatile, however, for certain lures or techniques, shortening the tip can be beneficial (the benefits may be more appropriate in a new thread). I normally build on blanks that are longer than the length I’ll finish with. I usually cut from the butt end, but often cut from the tip to get what I’m after. I always measure the power and AA before I make the cuts. It’s just another advantage of being a custom builder.

Posted by: Ed Sabatini (192.184.94.---)
Date: September 24, 2014 12:12PM

I figured there was a good reason not to go with the foam. I think I am going to run the ERN numbers on it an inch back from the tip and proceed from there. Thanks for all the good advice.

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: September 26, 2014 01:14PM

Hmm,

Interesting question. I wouldn't dismiss the idea so quickly. I think the idea is worth testing. The foam probably isn't getting up into the blank where it really starts to bend so it might not crush and break down over time. There are all kinds of foams. Open cell, closed cell, different densities and properties. My gut tells me that if there were merit to this idea, it might be found in a closed cell foam similar to what insulation people use to insulate basement or foundation walls. That's not the kind of foam you get in a can to fill cracks from the big box stores.

Why not take an inexpensive blank and set up some test conditions. Do a full CCS measurement before and after. I think you could judge how far the foam got down into the blank by refrigerating the blank and then moving it into a warmer humid area. Think of the glass of ice water collecting water on the surface of the glass. You might be able to accurately determine how far the foam got in and make some conclusions as to the effect, if any, the foam had if the CCS numbers changed in a significant way.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster