I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stuck Ferrule
Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2014 03:03PM

I finally did it. I have a rod built on a 5 piece LT blank. The first ferrule is solidly stuck. I do not want to send it to Winston because I suspect they won't be able to fix it and I would rather not do the handle again. Any suggestions for taking it apart? If it won't come apart can someone cut it apart and fit a new ferrule plug? I can use the rod as is, but would prefer to get it back to a 5 piece.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stuck Ferrule
Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: September 21, 2014 03:27PM

Try wrapping the ferrule with a bag of crushed ice. It has worked to shrink the parts and allow for them to come apart.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: September 21, 2014 03:31PM

try wrapping the female portion in a warm towel. like boil some water dip the towel wring it out and then after applying to the rod wrap it in plastic wrap to hold the heat for about 10 min. if that doesn't work try warm towel or even a heating pad on the female and then put some ice on the male. it works for nickle silver ferrules all the time.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2014 06:40PM

Get two rubber/silicon sheets like those used to open jars in the kitchen, one on each section, then twist in opposite directions and pull at the same time. Unless you epoxied it in place by accident that should work just fine.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: September 21, 2014 07:26PM

if nothing works for you use vice grips put the plyers on the male part with one wrap of masking tape under the plyers jaws , as it should be tight but still loose on the male part , then hold the male part on a heavy bench , then have some pull on the femal part , then put the plyers h against the femal section an hit with a hammer in the direction you want the female part to go , the sudden shock will get it loose , only do this as a last resor , yes this can hurt the femal part a little but it is the last hope , the cold compress works also , wax gets hard ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: September 21, 2014 07:26PM

William Sidney
AK

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2014 07:28PM by william G Sidney.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: September 23, 2014 07:21PM

It is still stuck. I took the wrap off the female half of the joint and heated it with a spark lighter for a while, then used the rubber grip things and pulled and twisted hard with no result. Not going to do the pliers. I emailed Winston to see what they might do if I send it to them. Probably will end up stripping components and rebuilding one a blank they hopefully provide under the warranty for the blank. I

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: September 23, 2014 07:29PM

well right after you posted this I got a rod in for repair. two piece fly rod with a break about 12" down from the top. the rod was still together at the ferrule. Well lo a behold right after I tell you how to unstick the ferrule i get one that won't budge. I tried two person pull, rubber grippers, heat, cold heat and cold. nothing worked. I put it in the corner and figured I'd get back at it when I got home from work. On my way out the door I grabbed it and gave it one more try. all of the sudden the darn thing popped like it was never stuck. Go figure.
I have heard reports of guys putting a drop or two of lighter fluid on the joint to dissolve any wax but I wouldn't recommend it. especially if you are going to heat it in the future. that popping you hear would be the tip shooting across your shop.

try warming it with a hair dryer set on high instead of the lighter.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 23, 2014 07:49PM

Cold is generally more effective than heat in getting ferrules unstuck.

Posted by: Torin Koski (73.34.124.---)
Date: September 23, 2014 08:16PM

I'd use a heat gun to slightly warm the stuck sections. Then, while warm, put a few drops of PB Blaster - at the junction - followed by carefully tapping both male and female sections immediately adjacent to the ferrule with a hard plastic burnishing tool. Then I'd set a sandwich bag of crushed ice over the stuck sections for 10 minutes or so. If it doesn't come loose then, repeat a few times. The PB Blaster is very viscous (runny) and designed to loosen old corroded nuts and bolts on vehicles. I do caution however that I once did this on a matte finished blank and the PB Blaster removed some of the blank coating. It was a fair sacrifice considering how stuck the sections were and how happy I was that they finally released!

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 23, 2014 08:52PM

NO NO NO, NO Heat! Go with the ice. And forget the vice grips. You are dealing with an issue that will be resolved by changes in the ten thousandths of an inch of diameter, and not by brute strength. As suprising as ice may sound, it is the most effective way to free stuck ferrules. I believe what happens is that the wall thickness of the female part decreases with the temp drop, thus increasing the inside diameter. And there is no chance of damaging an expensive rod. If it doesn't work the first time, try it aqain.

Using vice grips can easily damage the rod mechanically, and using heat can degrade its properties. While the graphite can take the temp, the plastics holding it together cannot.

Keep trying ice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster