I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tip top height vs guides
Posted by: ken khoo (---.019.dsl.pth.iprimus.net.au)
Date: September 21, 2014 05:20AM

Maybe Jim Ising or Bill Batson can answer for their respective brands but we all know that the same ring size tip top has a reduced height compared to its guide. Why is that? It doesn't matter when fighting a fish but most of the work is casting. Whether using NGC or cone of flight the tip top ought to be the same ring size as its nearest guide but it doesn't work for height. One has to use the next size up tip top to get the right height. Why aren't the manufacturers doing anything about it? In the meantime what do I do, use the same ring size as the last guide for the tip top and have the height lower or use a bigger tip top so that the height is equal to the guide. What's the performance difference? I imagine using the same ring size with the height difference will suffer in distance as there may be more slap being a step down. Anyone done any comparison?

ken

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tip top height vs guides
Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 21, 2014 11:07AM

Ken,
One solution is to wrap on a single foot guide for the tip top. I started using SF guides for tip-tops several years ago because of the unavailability of small ringed (micro) guide tip-tops. It took a while to get used to the look of them and now I prefer them to conventional framed tip-tops. They are also considerably lighter and I think they look cleaner.
I do however bend the guide slightly forward to provide an angle more conducive to the line flow, so this would slightly lower its height in relation to the other guides. I think it better accommodates the angular variations of the line at the rod tip and I doubt it would affect casting performance in any way.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2014 06:45PM

Why do you think it matters?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 22, 2014 01:16AM

x10 on Randy's comments.

So what if the tip top is a bit smaller or larger? As long as you have a hole big enough for the line to flow, you will be in good shape.

The size of the tip - as long as it is large enough to freely pass the line - will have essentially 0 effects on the rod, its power, action or fish catching ability.

Be safe

Posted by: ken khoo (---.014.dsl.hob.iprimus.net.au)
Date: September 22, 2014 05:03AM

Don't know that it matters, that's what I'm trying to find out. It's logical that it matters. After all the trouble we go to to line up the guides whichever concept is used, to have the last one being out of whack just grates. One rod I built didn't cast well and when I realigned the guides so that it looked like a bullseye the casting improved. If you don't have the tip top aligned it'll matter. The question is how much. Mine's not a problem in sourcing the tip top. Dblue carries the ones I need with the right tubes. I'm just trying to find out if someone has done any tests to see if it matters as this issue has been around a long time.

Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 22, 2014 10:24AM

Ken,
I think your question/concern is valid, but the slight difference in height would probably not amount to any measurable casting difference. It may be more of a bothersome aesthetic or cosmetic issue for you. I’d go so far to suggest that if you increase the tip top size to get the desired height, the additional weight at the rod tip will have more of a negative measurable effect on performance than the shorter tip top. There are many things that affect performance in a significant way, so I think that if you’re dissatisfied with your rods casting, I’d look elsewhere for the problem. I’d even suspect that unless your build was drastically misconfigured, that the problem wouldn’t be with the rod at all, so you might look at the other possibilities such as casting weight (matched to rods power), line, etc……or if it’s a casting rod, check out the reel.

Posted by: ken khoo (---.202-27-211.dynamic.dsl.pth.iprimus.net.au)
Date: September 24, 2014 04:55AM

I'm going to try the tip top size that is the ring size as its nearest guide. A light bulb moment went off when I was looking at the rod in that while there is a difference in height this is much reduced and even disappears under casting conditions. This is because the bait/lure used has a weight and this will bend the tip anyway. So maybe my concerns are answered in this manner.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster