I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

1st Fly Rod Build
Posted by: Sandy Harris (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 20, 2014 10:57PM

I'm building my first fly rod and need some advice. It's a Batson 10wt blank and I have the guide spacing marked per the Batson website. The issue is the proximity of one of the running guides to one of the ferrules (it's a 4 pc blank). If I reinforce the ferrule there would be very ittle room between that wrap and the closest running guide wrap. I haven't set up a static test yet so there may be some adjustment based on the outcome of it but I thought I'd see if there were words of wisdaom in the mean time. The blank is a dark green and I'm planning on using a dark green thread for the ferrule wraps and a more contrasting green for the guides so there will be some color separation but it still seems like the thread work will be right on top of each other......

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1st Fly Rod Build
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 20, 2014 11:01PM

Consider incorporating the reinforcement wrap and the guide wrap together. Otherwise, do not be worried about shifting the guide up an inch or so.

Posted by: Sandy Harris (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 20, 2014 11:26PM

Thanks, Tom..........I assumed that would be a safe approach but wanted to hear from folks who have a little more experience than myself. Almost all of the spin rods Ive built are one piece and the ferrule/guide proximity has not been an issue. Is there a standard length of a ferrule wrap? I can clearly see the depth of the male end so do I need to wrap the female end to that depth?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 20, 2014 11:28PM

The wrap doesn't need to be very long. Just enough to prohibit a split out at the edge of the ferrule. In my book I suggested a length that is equal to 1.5 to 2 times the diameter of the ferrule at that point. it seems to have become the accepted norm. Just make sure you get the wrap very close to the ferrule edge and wrap it snugly.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 21, 2014 02:24PM

Personally I dislike the way it looks to incorporate the ferule wrap with a guide wrap. You should use Batson's recommendation for length of ferrule wrap. Differs from manuf. to manuf. CTS calls for no wrap. Gatti calles for a full 15 mm. I split a Gatti ferrule just spining it. And it was wrapped with tape.
Herb

Posted by: Torin Koski (73.34.124.---)
Date: September 23, 2014 07:23PM

In your case I would probably place the guide ON the female ferrule so that the end of the wrap will be right at the ferule edge. The result would be a very normal-looking guide wrap that doubles as a ferrule re-enforcement wrap. It also saves (just a little) weight and wrapping effort.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster