I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

best epoxy or glue for rod building?
Posted by: Pat Marshall (---.132.97.4.46.clients.your-server.de)
Date: September 19, 2014 04:13PM

I will go out on an limb and assume that the old hot melt ferrule sticks are no longer considered the right glue for building rods? Been a long time since I built one and plan to get back into it. Getting my supplies up to date. Is epoxy the best? What about gorilla glue? Is there an accepted "best" type of glue for putting on reel seats and grips these days? Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: best epoxy or glue for rod building?
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: September 19, 2014 04:24PM

I like to use 2-part epoxy paste for reel seats & grips (any seem to work equally well). For building handles: EVA to EVA I like to use waterproof contact cement (same as is used on counter tops). For adhering cork rings to cork rings or wood to cork / wood to wood I like white waterproof carpenter's glue. On tip tops I find I can still use hot melt glue that is used to adhere feathers / nocks / tips to arrow shafts -- EXCEPT on heavy duty rods then it's back to paste epoxy.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 19, 2014 04:25PM

There are several options but i use U40's Rod Bond.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: September 19, 2014 06:13PM

Hello,

U40 and Rod Dancer make some good paste-type epoxies that are easy to work with. I prefer the slow cure ones as they allow more time for clean up and alignment of components. Don't use Gorilla Glue as it is messy and the parts must be tight-fitting and clamped, otherwise bond will be very weak.

*Edit
There is an article in the Library Link at the top of the page titled "Surface Preparation" you may wish to read. I found it very helpful.

-chad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2014 06:24PM by Chad Barlongo.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2014 07:14PM

Gorilla glue expands a lot, and it can force its way out of small gaps and you may end up with a difficult mess to clean up. It is great for some applications, but I would stick with epoxy for reel seats etc. and Liquid Fusion for the cork work.

Posted by: David Parsons (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2014 11:37AM

I have used Gorilla glue on some party boat rental rods and have not seen any come back with a failure there is no mixing.I also use two part paste epoxy on other grips and reel seats on other rods and like that alot and hot melt glue for tip tops.

Posted by: Ron Hossack (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: September 28, 2014 10:22AM

I've used White GG (and other PU glues) for years for grips and reel seats with no issues. Once it is dry it cleans up very easily by peeling most of it off if you use too much.

I've also used GG as a finish on wood. What I've been using lately is LOCTITE® PL PREMIUM FAST GRAB POLYURETHANE CONSTRUCTION ADHESIVE that I get from the Orange Big Box Store and it is around $5 for a 10oz tube.

I also second the use of Liquid Fusion (which is a clear urethane) glue for my Red Fir Bark rings because I was having too many failures of the glue joint with Titebond III.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster