I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Carbon over Foam Shrinkage?
Posted by: Ed Sabatini (---.ip-46-105-18.eu)
Date: September 18, 2014 01:32PM

I am toying with trying to make one of the foamed core carbon skin grips for a fly rod. My question is how stable is the unit? In other words, if I use this in very, very cold weather, or later in very, very hot weather, are the carbon and the core likely to separate if one shrinks or swells more than the other due to the temperature change? I figure these have been out there long enough now that somebody would have had a problem along these lines if such a thing can occur. Just being careful before I invest the time and effort. Thx.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carbon over Foam Shrinkage?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 18, 2014 01:44PM

I have the very first such grip ever built on a fly rod that has been actively used year 'round since early 2007. To date I have no evidence that anything has shrunk or expanded, at least to any degree that has caused any problem with the grip. Frankly, due to the way the skins are bonded to the core, I can't imagine the sort of normal seasonal temperature changes we experience would cause any issues with these type grips. Keep in mind that there are many such assemblies on rods, including standard grip mounting, reel seat to arbor to blank, etc. This sort of thing doesn't appear to be an issue.

Posted by: billy brodrick (---.cmts.sth3.ptd.net)
Date: September 18, 2014 01:44PM

Ed I have lived in south florida and Soldotna Alaska. In both places I have used the carbon skin on a fly rod. Never had any issues with stability. It gets really stable once its on the rod if applied right. Now there is different weights of foam and each one is more dense then the next. It is weight of one square foot. IE 8# foam is 8 pounds per square foot. That all depends on what your fishing for. The higher the number the more it weighs and the less air which translates into strength. The only draw back I see is they can get slippery when wet and they tend to be cold. Especially in 40 below steelhead fishing in February.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 18, 2014 01:54PM

I think you mean per cubic foot.

I've never had a problem with mine getting slippery. Generally they are more tactile when wet than dry. But I don't know what type top coating you're working with.

Posted by: Forrest Peters (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: September 19, 2014 01:40PM

I have some ice rods and never had a issue. No worries.

Lone Wolf Rods
"Keep your powder dry and your lines wet"
God Bless

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: September 20, 2014 08:31AM

I have a number of carbon skin ice rods here in MN. Let me tell you, if they can survive a few years of -35 deg (f) on the ice followed by 95 deg in the garage in the summer and survive just fine they will survive anywhere!

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 20, 2014 04:52PM

As others have stated, no problem. From my experience the most likely mistakes for a newbie to carbon fiber are: 1. Not getting enough epoxy on the foam core just before sliding the carbon fiber tube over the foam core. Let your epoxy get a little viscous and put it on thick so that when you "squeeze" the carbon fiber tube there will be plenty of epoxy to really wet it and provide no opportunities for voids under the fiber. and 2. sanding too deeply so that the sanding gets into the fibers and causes an ugly dull gray area under the final glossy finish. Build up the epoxy coating adequately, and be careful with the sanding. I usually use 3 coats of epoxy before I sand. Don't worry about weight; each coat on a fly grip will be only be a few grams and some of that will be sanded off.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster