I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Split Reel Seat Rear Grip Location Placement
Posted by: Geo Miller (---.eastlink.ca)
Date: September 17, 2014 04:40PM

Have "another" question about the placement of a split reel seat, specifically the rear grip. The answer may be so obvious I'm missing it, but as it's my first rod I want to check. Have searched the forum for "spacing of split reel seats" and found a variety of really good advice about determing the location of the seat and grip, (spinning rod) which I actually have no problem following. That said, for whatever reason I have assumed (I know....never assume) that if for instance the rear grip is going to be at 10 inches, that spacing is from the "end of the blank to the bottom of the grip". However, looking at a Batson "How to Page" last evening, the measurement is shown as being from the bottom of the blank to "top" of the grip. This makes perfect sense now that I see it, and clarifies in my mind why people have recommened some of the spacings I have read about. Putting the top of the grip at 10" (or whatever, based on personal preference), would place the grip where you would hold it to make a two handed cast . Have I got it right now?

Regards

Geo Miller

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Split Reel Seat Rear Grip Location Placement
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 17, 2014 05:19PM

I,don't know but on all of my rods I measure from where the cork or EVA meets up with the reel seat to the very butt. Which for me makes my grips anywhere from 8" to about 10"

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 17, 2014 05:27PM

Tape a regular one piece spin seat on the blank Go out and Ply Fishing with it
Move the seat Play again

This is the only way YOU will know how the rod feels to YOU
Once it feels good measure where the seat is
Also make sure as you bring in a fish if the rod is going to be In Front Of You that the butt grip does not get caught in your clothes
Nothing is written in stone This rod is to fit you

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Kevin Goy (---.slb.com)
Date: September 17, 2014 06:54PM

Agree with Swampland post... For freshwater rods (6'6" - 7'), I measure 10" from end of installed butt to lower edge of reel seat. Feels right, looks right, casts right!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 18, 2014 10:39AM

Geo,
As is done with production rods.
If the rod is short, the rear grip spacing is short.
If the rod is long, the rear grip spacing is long to better balance the rod when held.

Basically, I vary the effective length of the rear grip from 6 inches to 15 inches, depending on the length of the rod.

Then, make the rear split grip and shape that you wish to make a comfortable fishing rod.

Be safe

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 20, 2014 05:02PM

The really important dimension, IMHO, is the dimension from the reel stem to the butt end. You need to set that dimension so that the butt doesn't catch on clothing (rain gear/hoodies/or in the south maybe just tee shirts?) when swinging the rod from tip up to tip down, and vice versa. I really don't worry about balance because if you really balance most rods your distance between the reel stem and the butt will be so long as to be impractical for most fishing. Use the lightest guides you can and make sure you add no unnecessary weight forward of the reel. (like foregrip on most freshwater rods exc salmon/steelhead/muskie rods)

I've built casting rods with the dimension from the centerline of the reel spool to the butt about 10 inches and for me they cast well two-handed.

I agree that it is very important for those who are unsure of the right dimensions to tape up the rod and go outside and cast with it. Move the components and see how it changes your opinion of what you have. Don't take my word for it or anyone else's as a final dimension, only a starting point.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2014 05:14PM

Michael,
I think that that dimension depends.

Depending on the type rod that it is, and what it is going to be used for; it may be very important to have a longer rear grip for leverage.

Also, many folks would rather have the rod in better balance, even at the expense of a longer rear grip.

This is an area that you need to discuss carefully with your client. The rear grip length for one person and his fishing type and style may be completely different for a different person and his fishing type and style.

For much of the fishing that is done in our part of the country - many folks really want the rod to balance very well. But, they also want the lightest rod possible. So, they do not want to have a shorter rear grip and then have weight added t the rod butt to balance the rod.
Most of the folks would rather have the rod balance, even at the expense of a longer grip.

As I said at the beginning - it depends. Be sure to discuss this with the client so that there are no surprises.

Be safe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 20, 2014 06:02PM

Like said
if who you are making it for - Ask about another rod he NOW uses Does the handle fit How does he like it Too long -- Too short ??? He can even PLAY CAST another rod to figure how he likes the butt handle

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster