I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod building
Posted by: jerry brown (---.sc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 15, 2014 05:31PM

Just thought I would introduce myself to the group. First, I haven't built a rod in at least 45 years. I grew up on the west coast and as a kid / teenager i did everything from being a deckhand, pulled lobster traps, worked in fish markets, and tackle stores. I used to wrap rods on my lap, because i could't afford a machine. Now at age 62 i will be retired next month, and have decided i would like to wrap some rods again. This time I will invest in a hand wrapper, and perhaps move to a power wrapper later. I have been doing a lot of reading and realize as I should that materials have changed to the better along with techniques. I look forward to reading the posts, and viewing all the fine looking rods the members here have built, and just maybe I will post a picture of my work after re-learning the techniques. Diamond wrap was a popular style back then so I think I'll start with that when I'm up and running.

Jerry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod building
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 15, 2014 05:55PM

Just for the heck of it
Go to the bottom of this page and click on LAST and see how many pages are here about Rod Building

This is the best site for info on it
Check the sponcers on the left Also on the Black baner Come back and just read any posts You will learn a lot just from them

Welcome Aboard -- there is also a Mag that has many NEW idears and things about how to build rods Sudscrib to it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: September 15, 2014 06:37PM

Jerry, where are you living now?? If In western WA State, I may be able to help you out. Randy

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 15, 2014 08:58PM

Jerry, are you looking to sell rods? That matters a lot as far as advice goes. That would tie in with where you live too. Some areas are into bling and decorative wraps have come a long way. Computer software is something to consider for that market.

The basics haven't changed one bit. Do forget about spine...and learn about acid/spiral wrap. Some new ideas on guide sizing and layout. Static testing still rules though. The good names from the past, if still around, are still good. These days a moderate priced "over seas" blank can be a very fine blank. About the only "must change" would be if you used varnish on guide wraps.....oh and don't scribe layout marks on new lightweight graphite blanks:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: September 16, 2014 05:49PM

I moved to SC 35 years ago. I still miss living near the ocean. I live about 1.45 hrs from the beach and try to get down there every other week or more during the summer. Hope to relocate there someday. I will be doing some surf fishing after I retire next month. Thanks for the offer.

Jerry

Date: September 16, 2014 05:56PM

Russell Brunt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jerry, are you looking to sell rods? That matters
> a lot as far as advice goes. That would tie in
> with where you live too. Some areas are into
> bling and decorative wraps have come a long way.
> Computer software is something to consider for
> that market.
>
> The basics haven't changed one bit. Do forget
> about spine...and learn about acid/spiral wrap.
> Some new ideas on guide sizing and layout. Static
> testing still rules though. The good names from
> the past, if still around, are still good. These
> days a moderate priced "over seas" blank can be a
> very fine blank. About the only "must change"
> would be if you used varnish on guide wraps.....oh
> and don't scribe layout marks on new lightweight
> graphite blanks:)

Not at this time. I will be building for my own pleasure. I am involved with the Elks and when I believe my skills are up to par I will probably use the rods I build for my lodge to raffle off. The money they raise goes to good causes. Word of mouth and requests will guide my efforts. Hey, I've got to have some hobbies, and what better way then to try something I was pretty good at when I was a kid.

Jerry

Date: September 16, 2014 05:59PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just for the heck of it
> Go to the bottom of this page and click on LAST
> and see how many pages are here about Rod Building
>
>
> This is the best site for info on it
> Check the sponcers on the left Also on the Black
> baner Come back and just read any posts You will
> learn a lot just from them
>
> Welcome Aboard -- there is also a Mag that has
> many NEW idears and things about how to build rods
> Sudscrib to it

I'll do that. Thanks.
Jerry

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 17, 2014 10:59AM

Also
Check the mag site You can get Back Issues of the mag for things you missed
Also check the Buy Sell page some builders sell back issues

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster