I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Rod for Shark
Posted by: Jeff Graves (---.dhcp-dynamic.FibreOp.ns.bellaliant.net)
Date: September 15, 2014 05:19PM

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for suggestions for a fly rod to catch shark off the coast of Nova Scotia. From what I understand the fishing is done in the chum line not far off the stern of the boat. Up here the most common species of sharks are Blue, Porbeagle, and Mako with the odd Thresher thrown in. Average weight for this past season was in the 100-140 pound range topping out around 220 lbs. I have only ever built trout and salmon rods and have no idea about building something like this. Any building tips and suggestions of blanks, components and a reel would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod for Shark
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: September 15, 2014 06:40PM

Are you looking for a "true fly rod"? or just something that you can drift a fly back out into the chum line on?

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 15, 2014 06:50PM

About the only advice I can offer....is don't think you need to build on a fly rod blank. Just need a limber enough tip to get the offering out there and a strong enough butt to win the battle.

Back bounce and live bait blanks are a couple of areas to explore.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 15, 2014 08:04PM

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2014 08:13PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: steve george (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 16, 2014 06:22AM

Catching big offshore fish on fly is more about the water you are fishing.

400 pound Duskys are easy when you find them on the flats, all they can do is run. 400 pound Makos can have 2,000 feet below them and they will use it all.

Lifting big fish in deep water is different than simply fighting big fish in normal situations. Fly rods are typically casting instruments. In Nova Scotia, you may need a lifting tool. Lifting tools are on the short side of 8 feet and you may hate that rod if you are pinned against a transom for any length of time. The two things you learn from doing this are, 1. It can be brutally hard work, be prepared physically and mentally. 2, The best equipment is very specialized equipment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2014 04:16PM by steve george.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 16, 2014 09:51AM

Steve
Very good advice!!!
Herb

Posted by: steve george (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 16, 2014 04:21PM

Herb,

I should have mentioned that it is more of a young man's game. Us old guys just sit in canoes and catch smallmouth bass and eat blueberry pie.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 17, 2014 02:48PM

:-)))
You think you are old - you don't know what old is.

Old is when you can't eat pie anymore.
Herb

Date: September 18, 2014 12:09PM

But what do older folks do with their pie, when they have no teeth?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 18, 2014 01:28PM

Gum it --- Or put there teeth in and eat

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jeff Graves (---.dhcp-dynamic.FibreOp.ns.bellaliant.net)
Date: September 20, 2014 10:32AM

Thanks for the information so far, definitely some good things to think about. Does anyone have any specific blank, guide, and reel seat suggestions?

~Jeff

Date: September 20, 2014 06:27PM

Jeff,
As pointed out in the video, many folks use 14 weight fly rods with very heavy duty salt water fly reels.

Use appropriate components to match.

Be safe

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: October 08, 2014 01:25PM

I've never fished for sharks so I'm not speaking from experience, but the 14 wt tarpon blanks I have seem a little light for sharks that could go 2-3 times the weight of a tarpon. Have you considered something like the cape fear fly rod blanks? I think they make them as powerful as a 17/19 wt blank.

[www.mudhole.com]

I think they're out of business now, but you might find one for sale somewhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2014 01:31PM by John E Powell.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster