I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Quick question about guides
Posted by: Cameron Johnson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: September 12, 2014 01:56AM

Hey guys so I was just on mudhole (feel like I live on that website the last few days haha) and I was looking at guides. Anyways I was wondering what the letters in all the different guide names stand for? For example BKWAG Double-Foot Spinning Guides or CLNAG Casting Guides. It maybe simple and I am missing something but any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Quick question about guides
Posted by: Dennis Hamilton (---.google.com)
Date: September 12, 2014 02:24AM

B-Black Frame, KW-Frame Style, AG-Alconite Guide (Ring Material). Not sure if the frames have a specific names but T preceeding means Titanium, SG = SIC, and TG = Torzite. C could be for Casting, Concept, or for no particular reason. Not sure on that one but rest of it is easy to follow.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2014 02:33AM by Dennis Hamilton.

Date: September 12, 2014 02:33AM

Ah gotchya that makes a lot more sense thank you!

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: September 12, 2014 04:00AM

Here's a primer:
[anglersresource.net]

BLNAG
B = Black
LN = Light N Frame
A = Alconite
G = Guide

LNAG
Polished Stainless Frame
LN = Light N Frame
A = Alconite
G = Guide

And I believe the CLNAG had a chrome finish.

And BMNAG is Black Medium N frame.

Perhaps Jim Ising will correct any mistakes.

Don Becker

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 12, 2014 10:03AM

Spot on.

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: September 12, 2014 10:52AM

If you go to MFG websites, they will provide some info about how to read guides. Some Mfg are more clear than others.

Here's some Fuji info:
[anglersresource.net]

American Tackle:
[www.americantackle.us]

There isn't really a standard nomenclature that all mfg follow, over time each company adopted new ways of representing new guide styles and materials as the technologies evolved. There is also no monetary benefit for companies to adopt a standard. If they did, it would be easier for you to compare one mfg's guide with another; they would have to compete more on price instead of attempting to beguile you into purchasing their products with cool sounding technical terms. In some cases, it's not a clandestine plot, it's simply one company trademarking their product or they may hold a patent on a process or material.

Date: September 12, 2014 11:20AM

Thanks guys for the help! This makes a lot more sense now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster