I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

live bait blank
Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: September 11, 2014 11:12AM

Need some help. looking for a 7' live bait blank fast tip, heavy. Targeting stripers 30+. Probably use 60lb braid. What I've found seems to be E glass and large butt and at least 10oz. any other options? thanks Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: live bait blank
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 11, 2014 11:32AM

The very best such blanks, in my opinion, were the Seeker CLB series. They were glass tip to butt, with an outer wrap of carbon from the butt up to about 2/3rds of the way to the tip. The result was a fairly small diameter, powerful butt and mid section with an extremely fast, light tip. Tough, tough blanks, but not at all heavy. The 704 or more likely the 706 would be the best choice for 30lb+ stripers.

No idea if they can still make these for you. A Seeker dealer may possibly have some lying around. They are the best live baits blanks I've ever used.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 11, 2014 08:38PM

These are my Go to Blanks for Striper Chunkin RainShadow Saltwater Blanks

RCLB70L Clear Gloss 7'0" 1 15-30lb. 3/4-3oz. 0.830 7.0 XF L 5.8oz. SW Live bait/Iron/All purpose/Albacore
RCLB70ML Clear Gloss 7'0" 1 20-40lb. 2-6oz. 0.880 7.5 XF ML 8.2oz. SW Live bait/Iron/All purpose
RCLB70M Clear Gloss 7'0" 1 20-50lb. 2-8oz. 0.910 7.5 XF M 10.0oz. SW Live bait/Iron/All purpose/Yellowtail

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 12, 2014 05:01PM

Sometimes you have to question if you want what you think you want:)

A traditional live bait blank is almost always going to be a composite. You want the forgiving tip that glass gives with the brute power and durability a composite butt gives. You generally want a fast taper too and that leads to a large diameter butt.

You do have some newer models with a little smaller butts and less overall weight....but they are still pretty much the same animal. For example seeker now offers one built on S glass and graphite. The grafighter is pretty nice. The rclb line that Barry mentions is my favorite value live bait blank. Some of the lamiglas tri-flexs have a limber enough tip...like their kayak series.

If I wanted the most petite capable blank.....and if I had some room for finesse in the battle.....and if I didn't mind spending more for something a lot less durable.....then I'd suggest you take a look at the strongest hot shot blank you can find. Very limber tips and strong butts.

The rainshadow hs1025f is a 2pc, 8'6" rod rated 12-25# and 3/8-1 1/2 ounce. It has a 6.5 tip and 0.625 butt for a weight of 4 ounces. I have the hs1023f and it has proven stronger and more capable than imagined. It has caught everything from amberjack and grouper on the bottom to dolphin, tuna, and wahoo on the top. That said I must warn that there doesn't "feel" like a lot leeway between max pressure on the blank and "blow up in your face". Still I haven't been able to break it yet:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Bill Falconer (207.203.39.---)
Date: September 18, 2014 02:25PM

+1 on the RCLB70L or ML....great blanks and exactly what you are describing. I have used them for a variety of applications and have never been disappointed. Slightly large butt diameters but will still fit a palm support size 22 seat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster