I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: blush
Posted by: stan parkin (---.gate.cable.virginm.net)
Date: September 12, 2014 09:58AM

Pacbay gudebrod abd prowrap how I no it isnt any of the thread it blushes on the declals

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 12, 2014 11:12AM

Stan,
Since this seems to be an ongoing problem for you, have you ever tried using an oven when you dry your rod.
Normally blush is caused by humidity and Co2 - during the drying of the finish.
To help reduce that many folks use an oven when drying rods.

As a test, you could simply put a long cardboard box around your rod while it is drying along with a few light bulbs to supply heat. Both of these things will tend to dry out the air, as well as increase the temperature; both of which tends to minimize the effects of blush.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2014 11:14AM by roger wilson.

Date: September 12, 2014 11:15AM

Stan,
At any time from the time that you receive the blanks until you apply the finish, do you wipe the rod down with water or solvent of any sort?

Can you take a few pictures of the "blush" that you are getting and post them to the pictures page?

Although, we have all been referring to the issue that is going on as "blush", perhaps something else is happenning to your rods.

Be safe

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2014 11:19AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: ricky espenschied (---.dhcp.missouri.edu)
Date: September 12, 2014 12:26PM

Just a shot in dark but could it be your brush or what you are cleaning them with?
Ricky

Date: September 12, 2014 01:39PM

Ricky,
A good point.
This is one of the reasons that I use 5 cent throw away brushes for my finish application.
I never put any kind of solvent on a brush that I use for finish application.

Be safe

Date: September 12, 2014 01:41PM

Stan,
I also wonder if you can think back to the time before you were having this issue. i.e. I assume that you made a bunch of rods with no problems.

When you started having the problem, what changed in your process from start to finish?

i.e.. if you did not have the problem for a long time and now consistently have the issue, I have to think that something has changed in your rod building process or other.

Be safe

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: September 12, 2014 02:13PM

Stan,

I am very familiar with this issue. If you do a search for Amine Blush you will see that I have posted on it more than once.

After trying everything suggested and then some, I ended up changing finishes. Found one that was similar but no blushing issues. Havent looked back.

That wasnt an easy decision. I really liked FC and think its a great company. It's too bad the environmental conditions where I finish cause this issue but it is what it is.

After trials you may find this the only solution as well.

Good luck!

Posted by: stan parkin (---.gate.cable.virginm.net)
Date: September 12, 2014 05:12PM

Nothing changed in my rodbuilding tried the disposable brush but blush still present going to try a different resin next time what I do to get rid of blush is get a sable brush and lightly remove the blush I then use a led light to check it to make sure it has all gone then ilet it dry a repeat the process I get a excellent finish in the end no bubbles etc lovely glass like retention but it is a long drawn affair and annoying to think I never had this problem will try and put pics up but I.m not very good with phones or pc, s lol thank you all once again for all your replies really appreciate it

Date: September 12, 2014 11:14PM

Stan,
Thanks for the update.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster