I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Have I been doing my spiral wrap right?
Posted by: Ben Eipert (---.29.141.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 09, 2014 08:51PM

I have built a couple rods that are spiraled and loved them. For guide placement I would lay the guides out and move the first two or three stripper guides around the blank until the line would not touch the blank and then finish laying out guides as usual. Is this way alright to do or are there better ways? I don't have any other spiral wrapped rods made by others to compare it to so I don't know how it stands in relation to the others.
This particular rod is a 7' 6¨ MHX Flipping stick (telescopic) with Fuji Titanium Alconite guides (size 10, size 7, size 6, and 10 size 4 runners)
Thanks in advance,
Ben Eipert

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Have I been doing my spiral wrap right?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 09, 2014 09:26PM

There are a ton of various spiral wrapping methods and all work fine. Some are better suited for particular purposes. If what you've been doing works for you, thej you're doing fine.

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: September 10, 2014 09:07AM

This is a subject that is easily "overthought" because most approaches will work equally well for most applications. It's helpful to keep in mind that spiral wrap build approaches are more a list of guidelines than a set of hard and fast rules. But, like most things in life there are exceptions.

If you do a search for spiral wraps over the past year or so, you will find some posts that explain some of these exceptions. But basically, just like Tom wrote in the post above, if the rod and reel work well together and don't result in greater angler attention or effort to use the combo, then what you have done is fine for that application.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 10, 2014 09:39AM

I put the guides on as a spinning rod Cause most all are at the 180 as a spinning rod
Static test -- No Bumper Guide-- adjust guides '
Then with a line on and reel move the first two
where the line touches the blank put a bumper

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: john backos (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 10, 2014 03:43PM

Ben,

That's pretty much it. The only thing I will ad is I found that the line tends to stack to one side when using a levelwind reel. In this case, what I do is the following. Lay out the guides as you described. Then rotate the stripper guide opposite the direction of the spiral so the line coming off the spiral side of the stripper guide is dead centered on the reel spool. Then crank some line through the reel to fine tune the laying of the line. If you take some time with this you cna even compensate for reels that tend to stack a bit on one side even when conventionally set up.

If the reel has no levelwind it doesn't matter. I started setting them all up for levelwinds so this way I have the option of using either reel type.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 10, 2014 04:26PM

Ben,
In addition to John's comment, you may find that the stripper guide may need to be rotated in the direction of the spiral, rather than against the direction of the spiral for even line stacking.

Pull off a 100 feet of line, and reel back in under moderate tension. Adjust the stripper guide one way or the other until the line stacks smoothly on the reel.

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster