I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide spacing
Posted by: Cory Byrnes (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: September 09, 2014 08:46AM

I am building a 6'6" rod and I am using micro guides. I have spaced the guides as recommended by the manufacture. It is a casting rod and when I do a static load test the line touches the blank. I re-spaced them and even added a guide and the line still touches the blank. Will this be an issue while fishing. The person I am building it for uses mono. if he decides to go to braid will it damage the rod blank? will the mono chaff to much on the blank. Any help would be great. I am using 8 running guides along with a stripping guide and tiptop so 10 total. Thanks
Cory

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide spacing
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 09, 2014 09:03AM

With such low guides, it will be almost impossible to use enough to keep the line entirely off the blank during periods of extreme rod flex. Generally, a person that knows how to best use a rod won't be retrieving line while the rod is flexed - the rod is used to pull the fish towards you, then the reel takes up line as the rod is lowered back to straight. However, I know many folks just "pull and wind" so your concern isn't without merit. However, you can only do so much when using small, low framed guides. It is unlikely that the rod will be damaged by mono or braid, although over many seasons the finish between the guides could become dulled. Just use enough guides so that the line doesn't drop completely below the rod blank between any pair of guides, and you'll be fine.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 09, 2014 09:51AM

Cory,
If you want to avoid the line touching the blank problem with a casting rod, tie the guides onto the rod in a spiral fashion.

Then, as the rod is flexed more, the line moves away from the rod, rather than toward the rod since the line will be on the bottom of the blank during rod flexing.

You can also use many fewer guides with the spiral wrap compared to a conventional wrap.

Be safe

Posted by: Cory Byrnes (107.77.80.---)
Date: September 09, 2014 10:03AM

Thanks. If I spiral wrap how does that affect the casting of the rod. Will it still be a good for shakey head fishing? Soft plastics and light weight lures? Thanks again guys.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 09, 2014 10:42AM

Cory,
Try a spiral wrap and see how you like it.
You can just tie on the guides without finish and do some casting and see how it goes for you.

You can then rewrap it with conventional guides and see if there is a difference for you.

Some folks love spiral wrapped rods, and some folks hate them.

Be safe

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 09, 2014 11:40AM

The line won't know which side of the rod it's on - casting will be just fine.

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: September 09, 2014 12:08PM

If you look at some of the micro rods offered by factory manufactures you can tell just by the guide height and distance from each other that the line is going to touch the blank under load.

Was actually told by one manufacture that line touching the blank isnt a problem. This was after pointing out the guide train on one of his competitors models.

But, this is one the pros are gonna have to do without me. Just cant get behind it. Especially when spiral wrapping is so much easier with zero downside, imo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster