I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Saltwater single foot guide
Posted by: wes morikawa (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 09, 2014 01:57AM

What options are available now that Fuji no longer has their heavier duty single foot guides available?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Saltwater single foot guide
Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 09, 2014 07:52AM

Hi,

I use the single foot Alconites all the time. I build mostly salt water rods. No problem.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 09, 2014 08:58AM

Check out the American Tackle A-Frame Titans..... Super strong, super light, and affordable (for titanium).

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: September 09, 2014 04:59PM

REC Recoil,

Posted by: Bill Falconer (207.203.39.---)
Date: September 09, 2014 06:06PM

+1 on the Fujis. I have used both SIC LSG/TLSG and Alconite CLAG single foots for 12+ years in the saltwater. I don't know how many I've wrapped on rods but it easily numbers over 1,000. If you rinse them regularly, you will have no corrosion issues even with the non-titanium frames. And in all that time I have never had a guide ring pop out or a Fuji guide otherwise fail. That's a great track record.

The newer ICLSGs are also very promising but they have not been around long enough yet to make any bold claims. But you are treading firm ground with the SICs and Alconites.

I think it is great that 'heavy framed' guides are available and I've used some of them. But I've also landed 8' sharks on rods with CLAG 7 running guides so unless you are going to rough them up in and out of rod lockers, or pound them against the kayak or canoe gunwale, or stomp on them on the casting deck the beefier frames may be overkill in my experience.

I realize I probably sound like I'm on the Fuji payroll, but the simple fact is that they have worked really well for me. I have tried just about everything else out there and nobody else's guides have a zero failure rate for me yet - and that's using a much smaller sample size so fewer opportunities for defects. So, I use the Fujis whenever possible. Hope this helps.

Posted by: wes morikawa (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 12, 2014 06:43PM

thanks for the replies I will check them all out and report back

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster