I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need a 3 1/2 to 4 foot blank for 1-6 lbs test line.
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dhcp.hspr.ca.charter.com)
Date: September 08, 2014 04:13PM

I tend to build rods in the 6 foot and up.

This request has me at a complete loss for blanks with these characteristics.

1. 3 1/2 to 4 feet ideal. If longer, I can trim down.

2. Test of about 1-5 lbs but lets just say 2-6 lbs as I think more rods are listed form 2 lbs up.

3. Need to have a very flexible tip - ideally able to bend quite a bit without breaking. i assume this would mean fiberglass.

4. More moderate to parabolic action. So can't shut down very quickly as it has to cushion light line.

5. But still have some stoutness right at the butt end in case the fish is larger so that it is not a limp noodle all the up to the handle and can't exert pressure.

Any such critter? Of course, the lighter weight the better.

I know, this is an odd one...:)

Thanks,
UL

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need a 3 1/2 to 4 foot blank for 1-6 lbs test line.
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: September 08, 2014 04:39PM

Sent you an e-mail. Randy

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 08, 2014 06:01PM

Lots of ice rod blanks out there that would fit the bill perfectly.

Be safe

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 08, 2014 08:44PM

top half of an 8 ft fly rods has worked for me in the past

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: September 09, 2014 08:20AM

Ice rod blanks should be just what your looking for. In addition to sponsors on the left that carry ice rod blanks, also check out Thorne Bros. Their website is under some construction at the moment, it might be faster to call them.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 09, 2014 09:55AM

Mo,
You could take virtually any of the 5-6 foot ultra light spinning blanks and cut a foot or a foot and a half off the butt of the rod, and it should work very well for your needs.

Remember, you can catch nearly any size fish with virtually any rod. If you are using a very light rod to land a very large fish, just keep the tip of the rod pointed toward the fish, and don't use the rod to fight or lift the fish. Rather just use your arm, wrist and hand to do the work while keeping the rod's tip pointed toward the fish.

The only thing that will limit the size fish caught will be the lb test of the line and the spool size on the reel to have enough line to feed line if needed.

Be safe

Date: September 09, 2014 02:54PM

Roger,

You are right. Any rod can technically land any fish as long as the reel and line are strong enough. One can point the rod at the fish and take the rod's power out of the equation. Thanks for the reminder. Of course, with 2-4 lbs test, one would prefer that the rod can properly cushion the line to prevent breakage. even a drag set lightly can't respond as fast as a properly limber rod can.

Mo

Date: September 09, 2014 02:54PM

Roger,

You are right. Any rod can technically land any fish as long as the reel and line are strong enough. One can point the rod at the fish and take the rod's power out of the equation. Thanks for the reminder. Of course, with 2-4 lbs test, one would prefer that the rod can properly cushion the line to prevent breakage. even a drag set lightly can't respond as fast as a properly limber rod can.

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster