I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank Selection Help
Posted by: Mike Walerak (156.98.210.---)
Date: September 08, 2014 01:32PM

I am looking to build a rod for myself. I primarily fish wingdams on the Mississippi river.
The specs that I'm looking for are:
About 7' so I can free snags with the added length.
The tip must be very soft. I fish livebait and do not want the fish to feel the rod. Similar to a noodle rod for icefishing. But I often fish 1/2 oz to 3/4 oz sinkers in current so not too floppy of a tip.
As sensitive as possible. I do fish with 20 lb braid for my mainline.
good back bone in that medium power range. I sometimes have to wrestle an 8lb walleye against the current.

I was thiking something with that has very fast taper similar to a dropshot rod.

What would you suggest?

Maybe I want my cake and eat it too.

I

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank Selection Help
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 08, 2014 02:22PM

Check out the specifications of "hot shot" and "popping" blanks. It's not what they are called but what they can do which matters.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 08, 2014 03:03PM

Mike,
I do the same type fishing in the same area.

I have a couple of rods that I really prefer.
One is a 6 1/2 foot extra fast tipped medium action rod. For many types of fishing this is ideal.

Also, I use a Loomis 9000 7'6" rod for the times that I want extra distance casting. This rod has plenty of backbone to handle any fish in the river, plus it has the soft tip that is nice for that need as well.

There are several manufacturers today that make the equivalent of the 9000 blank. I find that the higher modulus blanks end up being much lighter and have a more crisp feel.

Good luck

Date: September 08, 2014 04:04PM

Thanks a rod I was using for a bit was the Wright Mcgill 7'7" Tony Roach Power bobber rod. I really liked the action but the sensitivity was not there and I hated the handle. Right now I am using a 6'6" medium avid blank and it is okay but I know there has to be a model out there that is ideal for what I am using. Everytime I am in a sporting goods shop I check out all the rods looking for the perfect action and have not yet found one. It has to be out there and I know I am sacrificing feel for the action I want. Most of the drop shot rods I've seen are not over 7 foot. otherwise I think they would be the ticket. Also, I have a 6'9" Croix Avid medium light would be a great one but it just doesn't have the gumption to bring in a hog walleye against heavy current.
Anyone know any specific blank models?

An absolute perfect length would be 7'2".
I think I am leaning towards the RS Revolution 6'10" medium with Ex fast tip. That blank will get me closer to what I am looking for.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: September 08, 2014 11:30PM

Have you looked at the St. Croix C71MHXF?

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (193.201.167.---)
Date: September 09, 2014 06:43AM

MHX popping blanks have very soft tips but a powerful backbone. The same goes for Talon hot shot blanks, though they are a bit longer. Nevertheless you could consider using an 8'6" blank for that purpose. With 20lb power it will haul a monster from the deep and casts up to 1 oz. VI+ graphite is the better choice.
Cheers,
Michal

Date: September 09, 2014 08:16AM

Thanks I am going to look into the MHX popping blanks. I have never built one before.I will do some more research. I have all winter to finish this rod so I am not in a hurry.

Date: September 09, 2014 10:01AM

Mike,
You may as well build the rod in the next couple of days and then you will have the entire fall fishing season to enjoy it.

Be safe

Date: September 09, 2014 12:42PM

Roger,
If I have any free time right now I will be fishing. I have a number of customer rods to build and repair. No time for rods for myself until after Christmas :-(
What stretch of the Miss do you fish? I am around Wabasha.

Date: September 09, 2014 04:30PM

Mike,
Most of the time, I fish pool 2 - in the cities. I am on the north ring of the twin cities.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster