I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Rod Guide Spacing
Posted by: Sandy Harris (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: September 07, 2014 11:30PM

At the 2014 ICRBE I saw a fly rod that had the stripper guide placed very close to the grip with another guide maybe 4' or so in front of it. Can anyone comment on this type setup and maybe give me some idea as to where I could find a suggested matrix using this concept for a 4pc 10wt blank?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod Guide Spacing
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 08, 2014 08:12AM

The first guide (stripper) shouldn't be any closer than normal, but you may add a "tamer" guide about 3 to 4 inches beyond it. The tamer guide is an addition to, not part of, the regular spacing of the other guides.

I would suggest you take any rod you have now and tape on a tamer guide 4 inches beyond the stripper and test cast it. See if you can tell any difference. If so, you might give it a try on your next rod, or wrap it on your current one. Otherwise, you don't likely need it.

Date: September 08, 2014 08:28AM

Thanks, Tom........also for recognizing I meant 4 inches and not 4 feet........

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 08, 2014 10:32AM

To efficiently cast a 10 wt. rod effectively it's necessary to double-haul. Placing the stripper guide close to the grip will force the fly line to make a right-angle turn while it's shooting into the backcast and the hauling hand is drifting back into position. Unnecessary friction should be avoided in rod design.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 08, 2014 04:39PM

Sandy,

Yeah, a stripper guide at 4 inches in front of the cork grip sounds really odd to me. The first guide, the stripper, is usually about the length it would take to reach out with your arm and hand to grab the fly line from a relaxed position. for me that's about 28-30 inches from the grip if i remember correctly. being a 10wt blank should not change that relative position of the first stripper.

Do you recall what was the reasoning behind such a closely located stripper on that rod you saw?

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: September 09, 2014 10:40AM

What everyone is saying makes sense. Maybe my focus was more on the tamer guide and not the distance of the stripper from the reel seat. I'll likely end up using the spacing suggested by the Batson site since it's one of their blanks and then do a static test and test cast.......

Thanks for the comments........

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 09, 2014 11:19AM

Place the butt guide as Erric suggests tape the rest of the guides on Static test Now test cast and mark the casting distance
Try a tamer test cast and see if it does any better If not no need for it
Grab the line from the butt guide as you would fishing if to far adjust

if you can get a hold of a lighter line and a heaver line try them on the rod It may cast better

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster