I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help applying CCS ratings to switch rod
Posted by: rick humphrey (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: September 07, 2014 09:52PM

I've just finished building an A.R.E. 11' 5/6wt switch rod and have calculated the CCS numbers for the rod. I'm having difficulty transposing the ratings to an appropriate scandi/skagit line grain weight for the rod, so thought I'd look to this forum for some help.
My measurements/calculations are as follows: ERN: 5.35 (43 cents), AA: 75 deg, DBI: 5.3/75 and CCF: 1200/17= 70.59.

Any help and recommendations would be appreciated.

thanks,
Rick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2014 11:26PM by rick humphrey.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help applying CCS ratings to switch rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 08, 2014 09:33AM

I don't think you'd want to go higher than about a 450 grain head. And a 400 might be the better all around ticket.

There is a specialty two-handed fly rod forum called "sexy loops" where the users have done quite a bit of work with the CCS and might be able to steer you better than I can. But I think they may end up giving you the same recommendation that I just did.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 08, 2014 09:54AM

Check this out it should help
[www.ginkandgasoline.com]
here is more info from RB Meiser
[www.meiserflyrods.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.ien.ada.in.ena.net)
Date: September 08, 2014 10:21AM

By your CCS ERN listing it looks like they desiginate their switch on standard fly line rating. Some companies do that and others do it by spey wt which is typically 2wts above standard fly line. My Pac Bay Quickline is rated by standard fly line rating and usess a 275 gr - 325 gr head.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: September 08, 2014 10:54AM

The Spey Clave has a wealth of information on two handed casting rods.

Posted by: rick humphrey (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: September 08, 2014 05:01PM

Thanks for the responses. It appears, Dick, that the 11' 5/6 wt rating IS actually based on a single hand rating. In any event, I'll put it to good use as a trout switch rod. BTW: the 11' 6/7 wt I built actually tests out as a 7.8 on the spey scale. I discussed my CCS results with SG and it rocks with the 540 skagit switch and 510 Rage he recommended. It appears The A.R.E. ratings are somewhat all over the board. I really like the blanks, but it would be helpful to have a more accurate list of rod ratings based on actual results, rather than building it, then finding out what it is.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster