I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Few Questions from a Complete Beginner
Posted by: Cameron Johnson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: September 07, 2014 08:42PM

Hey guys so I am planning on getting a set up for rod building within the next week. I was planning on getting this one from mudhole: [www.mudhole.com]

Will that be a good set up for a beginner? I know eventually I will want to upgrade, but for now will that all be good enough?

Secondly, I have seen a lot of blanks called Mag Bass and Spin Jig. What exactly does that mean?

Finally, what do you think about the Fuji Sk2 reel seat?

Thanks guys!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Few Questions from a Complete Beginner
Posted by: Ben Eipert (---.16.141.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 07, 2014 10:03PM

That kit would work great. The main difference between the magbass and the spin jig is the backbone of the rod and how fast the tip is. Also the magbass blanks come in heavier sizes. I prefer the magbass for worms, tubes, shakey heads, and flipping and the spin jig for finesse fishing like dropshot and ultra-light hair jigs. As for the SK2 seats I am personally not a fan. I use either the Fuji ACS casting seats or the Aero spinning seats by American Tackle. I recommend not ordering a kit for your first build, it might seem easier but in the long run it will be much easier and more fun to build one that you tailored to your style. It also allows you to put money in what you think is more important. Just some stuff that I figured out over the years.

Good Luck,
Ben Eipert

Date: September 07, 2014 10:15PM

Ben Eipert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That kit would work great. The main difference
> between the magbass and the spin jig is the
> backbone of the rod and how fast the tip is. Also
> the magbass blanks come in heavier sizes. I prefer
> the magbass for worms, tubes, shakey heads, and
> flipping and the spin jig for finesse fishing like
> dropshot and ultra-light hair jigs. As for the SK2
> seats I am personally not a fan. I use either the
> Fuji ACS casting seats or the Aero spinning seats
> by American Tackle. I recommend not ordering a kit
> for your first build, it might seem easier but in
> the long run it will be much easier and more fun
> to build one that you tailored to your style. It
> also allows you to put money in what you think is
> more important. Just some stuff that I figured out
> over the years.
>
> Good Luck,
> Ben Eipert

Thank you! I really appreciate that! If you dont mind I have another question now haha. I like the looks of the ACS reel seat, but what Im not sure about is how you know what size seat to order. Since the reel seat is long it seems to me that it would cover enough of the blank that the blank's OD would change from what it was at the bottom of the reel seat to the top of it. Do you just look at where the bottom of the reel seat will sit on the rod and match the ID of the seat to the OD of the blank at that spot?

Posted by: mike quinn (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: September 08, 2014 02:28AM

As a fairly new rod builder, for myself only, I feel you have made an intelligent move in getting the set up kit as your first purchase. Next thing is to read Tom K. book. Every Page of it. The book will explain that for the reel seat you can make arbors with masking tape of buy arbors from Mudhole that you can ream yourself just like the cork front & rear grip. The arbors you buy will fit the ID of the reel seat.

After reading the book watch the video until you can do impressions verbatim. Now read Tom K. book again paying attention to what will help you in your build and play with some of the toys you purchased in the kit while reading it. For me the alphabet soup of guides was the most difficult to comprehend. Go here next (http://anglersresource.net/). I suggest you put on a pair of Depends first, lord knows I needed them when I first started reading it. In the end I bought the microwave guides for my first build because it seemed to be perfect fit for a first time builder. On my second build I used the Fuji K guides which I love and have more personal pride in as a braid only fisherman, but for me using the microwave guides first was the correct choice and is still my favorite rod.

I agree with Ben on the Aero reel seat and not buying a kit. I bought a good rod with a kit. I did not use anything from the kit for the final rod. I tend to be slow on the initial uptake so the kit was great for practicing on the rod with the guides and reaming the cork. Personally I feel if you build your first rod from a kit it will be the rod that sits in the garage, you never use it, and tell people it was your first build so you don't use it anymore. Instead become a member of Mudhole and use the Wish List to put together all you need to build your first trebuchet. Once you are sure of what you want print it out and call Mudhole. When ordering parts for my first rod they actually went into the parts room and grabbed the parts I was ordering to make sure they were the right fit. I did not ask Mudhole to do that, their customer service is just that good. Good luck with your newly acquired sickness and OCD called Rod Building.

Posted by: Shawn Grimm (130.76.64.---)
Date: September 08, 2014 11:42AM

Welcome to the addiction! Try to find a place nearby that stocks components. It may be a tackle shop that also does custom builds or, if you are lucky, a distributor. In Southern California we used to have BC Distributing, which was really great for me. I could wander in and the guys would help me pull together exactly what I needed and do a side-by-side comparison on component options. I have not made it to Acid Rod in San Dimas yet, but am working on my shopping list. I just really like to look at my options side-by-side to consider the pros & cons of each.

Date: September 08, 2014 11:50AM

Thanks for all the advice! I have been all through their website in the last few days it feels like haha. I agree with yall that I did not want to get a rod kit, and I have set up a list that I am really excited to finally order. My first rod is going to be on a MHX 7 mh f blank. I think I am still going to try the SK2 reel seat just because since I saw them on a St Croix LE I really liked the looks of them, I just have never handled one. If I dont like it after this rod I am sure I will end up using the ACS.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 08, 2014 12:26PM

If you have any fishing stores near you Stop in They may just have a rod with one on it this way you can feel it to see if you like it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 08, 2014 03:33PM

Cameron Johnson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for all the advice! I have been all through
> their website in the last few days it feels like
> haha. I agree with yall that I did not want to get
> a rod kit, and I have set up a list that I am
> really excited to finally order. My first rod is
> going to be on a MHX 7 mh f blank. I think I am
> still going to try the SK2 reel seat just because
> since I saw them on a St Croix LE I really liked
> the looks of them, I just have never handled one.
> If I dont like it after this rod I am sure I will
> end up using the ACS.

Cameron,

I would recommend buying the down locking SK2 reel seat, (nut on top and tightens down towards the rear grip). I build custom rods and have had several come back with a loose front reel seat on the uplocking SK2's. Welcome to this addicting hobby....or business!!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Ben Eipert (---.members.linode.com)
Date: September 08, 2014 03:55PM

If you order from MudHole they will size your parts for you.
Ben Eipert

Posted by: Ben Eipert (209.208.27.---)
Date: September 08, 2014 03:58PM

Also you will love the MHX Blanks! They are my favorite ones to build on. Just can't beat them for the price.

Date: September 08, 2014 08:48PM

Thanks for the replies guys! I thought about asking MudHole to check my sizing, but I was wondering how they do that without knowing exactly where I will want to put the grips, reel seat, and what not. I mean I could tell them where I want those things to go, but I felt like that would be asking a lot of them.

Posted by: Ben Eipert (---.29.141.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 08, 2014 09:46PM

I just give them an estimate of where I think I will put my reel seat and grips. If you don't know where you want it just ask them if they have any recommendations. Mudhole is always patient and will help you get what you need. I would just put what you want in an online cart, call them, and have them size it for you and ask them questions to work out the kinks.
Ben Eipert

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 08, 2014 10:21PM

Remember that part of custom rod building is sizing components to fit, by shimming or reaming. So all you need them to do is get you close, or approximate with the right pieces and you take it from there.

Date: September 08, 2014 10:57PM

Sounds good guys thanks I appreciate all the advice! haha I just made my first order to mudhole I am so excited! Now I am already wanting to start looking at what blank I want to build my next one on haha

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster