I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Absolutely furthest casting line for actual breaking lb test?
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dhcp.hspr.ca.charter.com)
Date: September 07, 2014 02:12AM

This may seem off topic as this is about rod building. But hopefully it won't seem to be once I explain the reason for the question.

I am to build a purpose specific spinning rod - and that is a fishable rod that will cast the furthest possible. The question of what type of line cast furthest on a spinning rig comes in play as the rod will then be built around the line.

By line test, I think in terms of general actual breakage with a good knot. The problem is that some line rated at X may break at 2X lbs, while another rated at X may break at X lbs. So one can get the first line in a lower lb rating and still break at the same lb test as the second line.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.
Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Absolutely furthest casting line for actual breaking lb test?
Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: September 07, 2014 03:16AM

For monofilament:

In regards to distance casting competition, it is the line diameter that is of concern. The casting weights and associated line diameters follow:

100 gram - 0.25mm
125 gram - 0.28mm
150 gram - 0.31mm
175 gram - 0.35mm

The line should have minimal memory.

Typically Sakuma Nite Crystal meets the requirements (for monofilament).

If distance is of great importance, you may want to consider using a round baitcaster.

Don Becker

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2014 03:16AM by Donald Becker.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 07, 2014 08:44AM

Don's right, it's mostly about diameter.

And of course, braid generally gives you a higher breaking strength for the diameter than does mono.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 07, 2014 10:07AM

Posted by: Dennis Hamilton (---.google.com)
Date: September 07, 2014 10:17AM

Paulusjustfishing can give you some good general information on line types. Thats the best place to start for breaking strength and characteristics of the lines. Your post was a little confusing to me and I don't really know what your looking for in breaking strength. 8 strand braids give me the best results, I like SW Ultracast Invisibraid, and the 20lb probably breaks at double the rating.

Date: September 07, 2014 10:18AM

Paulusjustfishing can give you some good general information on line types. Thats the best place to start for breaking strength and characteristics of the lines. Your post was a little confusing to me and I don't really know what your looking for in breaking strength. 8 strand braids give me the best results, I like SW Ultracast Invisibraid, and the 20lb probably breaks at double the rating.

Date: September 07, 2014 10:18AM

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 07, 2014 10:26AM

I don't know if distance casting champions use rods with micro guides or not but they do use small diameter revolving spool reels and lay the line on by hand. The smaller the diameter of the line the more likely it is to "dig in" between underlying layers of line and rob distance. Spinning reels are susceptible to this problem. Some spinning reels lay line on the spool in a pattern where upper layers of line are unlikely to be trapped between lower levels, while others do not do as well. There are plenty of variables in rod, reel, and line and these variables interact during a cast. It may be counterproductive to consider any one of these three elements of equipment in isolation.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 07, 2014 10:26AM

I don't know if distance casting champions use rods with micro guides or not but they do use small diameter revolving spool reels and lay the line on by hand. The smaller the diameter of the line the more likely it is to "dig in" between underlying layers of line and rob distance. Spinning reels are susceptible to this problem. Some spinning reels lay line on the spool in a pattern where upper layers of line are unlikely to be trapped between lower levels, while others do not do as well. There are plenty of variables in rod, reel, and line and these variables interact during a cast. It may be counterproductive to consider any one of these three elements of equipment in isolation.

Date: September 07, 2014 03:24PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know if distance casting champions use
> rods with micro guides or not but they do use
> small diameter revolving spool reels and lay the
> line on by hand.

Competition rods are usually Century or Zziplex about 13 to 14' long.

A shock leader is required for tournament casting. The size is dependent on country and organization. For SportcastUSA, there are two sizes. 0.65mm and 0.75mm (about 50# and 80#). Most casters use size 12 running guides. The rest of the train is determined by the reel set up.

The only thing I can add is the standard "The caster must be able to bend (meaning load) the rod". Often aspiring distance casters buy rods that are too powerful for them.

Don Becker

Posted by: mike thacker (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: September 08, 2014 12:10AM

What would a beginner distance caster look for in a rod? when you say they buy rods that are too powerful, how is this determined?

Date: September 08, 2014 03:48AM

Thanks everyone. I was thinking 10 lbs test for actual fishing. Not competition casting.

Thanks for all the replies.

Mo

Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: September 08, 2014 05:31AM

Hello,

IGFA rated lines are supposed to test consistently at, or slightly below, their breaking strength. Monofilament, you will find some brands will be thinner than others and offer better distance. Hi-Seas Black Widow is one of my favorite IGFA monofilaments, and not a bad deal for the price...Co-polymers will also generally be thinner than their mono equivalent.

-chad

Posted by: Jeff Saxby (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 08, 2014 09:37AM

In fishing conditions I think Nanofil will cast as far as any line.

I fish for smallmouth bass in extremely clear water in the spring. Long casts definitely get more bites. I started using 10 lb Nanofil, but the line is plenty strong so I dropped to 8.

Posted by: Jeff Saxby (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 08, 2014 09:38AM

I should have added, that to keep maximum distance it pays to trim off 10 yards or so after it wears. The new line definitely casts further then the worn line.

Date: September 08, 2014 12:17PM

Thanks everyone.

Mo

Date: September 08, 2014 02:21PM

Mo Yang Wrote:
> Thanks everyone. I was thinking 10 lbs test for
> actual fishing. Not competition casting.
>
> Mo

8 to 12 lb line is often used for competition casting.

When visitors from locations such as Wales, England, South Africa, Australia participate in US competitions, they often use their tournament rods for fishing.

Don Becker

Date: September 08, 2014 03:21PM

mike thacker Wrote:
> What would a beginner distance caster look for in a rod?

Length: 13’ to 14’ 8”

Split: 60/40 or 70/30

Handle: Parallel

Handle Diameter: 24mm to 26mm

Ferrule: Spigot, handle female

Action: Parabolic to J curve

Lure Rating: 125 to 150 grams

Brand: 90% are either Zziplex or Century

>when you say they buy rods that are too powerful, how is this determined?

More later.

Don Becker

Date: September 08, 2014 06:00PM

mike thacker Wrote:
> when you say they buy rods that are too powerful, how is this determined?

Linked is a video of Danny Moeskops casting. He is well known in the tournament casting arena. He has the power and mass to push a lead forward with authority. The rod he would use would be much stiffer than a rod a person of lesser stature would use.

[www.youtube.com]

When is the rod too stiff or powerful?
The lead gains energy from two sources. As the rod accelerates the lead, kinetic energy is gained from the velocity of the lead. As the rod starts to bend, the second source of energy, stored or potential, is created. To store more energy in the rod, the acceleration must continue. Should the acceleration decrease, the rod will release stored energy. This premature release of energy may kick the caster either to the back or to the side. The phrase “slow in, fast out” is often heard at tournaments.

Another way to look at casting power is by considering the effective length of the rod. A more powerful caster can bend a rod more than a caster of less power. Hence, the more powerful caster will gain more control over the rod with the shorter effective length. However, if the effective length is too short, the distance will be determined mainly by the velocity of the sinker.

Since casters come in various sizes, shapes, strengths, and ages the best way to evaluate if a rod will work for you is to test cast the rod.

Don Becker

Posted by: Ben Hurlstone (---.cluster-m.websense.net)
Date: September 08, 2014 07:23PM

Mo,

If you want a good casting braid, as that will give you the most distance with a spin setup, go japanese and be prepared to pay for it. nothing comes close in terms of thickness, durability and general performance. in my experience the better lines wont bleed, are not 'stiff' and wont fuzz up of a few trips and are definately wortht the extra $$
some of my favourites are:

Varivas - Avani Seabass Premium PE MaxPower
Varivas - Avani High Grade PE
Unitika - Eging Super PE II (white)
Duel Hardcore - X8 or X4

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster