I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

turning center-bored stock.
Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: September 06, 2014 02:25PM

I have just been turning a birch and tulipwood grip and find it is not true to center. The center was bored true.
Anyone have any info on what I did wrong? Also, a tip to correct this? It is to be a 14" grip for a center pin float rod. Hate to start over.
Thanks, guys.

Harry T. Bell

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: turning center-bored stock.
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2014 06:18PM

Harry,
Since this is a wood grip, I assume that you are using standard turning tools to shape the grip.

Since this is a 14 inch grip, you may very well be getting some bending of the grip as you turn. If that is the case, you can likely get off center.

Often, with a grip that long, it is sometimes better to do the gluing in two pieces. When you are fairly close to the final size, then glue the two pieces together and do the final shaping.

Also, how fast are you turning the grip. Normally, the faster the turning speed, the easier it is to keep the piece on center.

What is the size of the mandrel that are use to hold the grip?

Of course, I am sure that your turning tools are razor sharp.

One thing that helps for me on a long grip, is to use a ball bearing rest to stabilize the center of the grip as it is being turned. I use a couple layers of blue masking tape to keep the rests from marking the grip.

Be safe

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2014 06:19PM

Harry,
Since this is a wood grip, I assume that you are using standard turning tools to shape the grip.

Since this is a 14 inch grip, you may very well be getting some bending of the grip as you turn. If that is the case, you can likely get off center.

Often, with a grip that long, it is sometimes better to do the gluing in two pieces. When you are fairly close to the final size, then glue the two pieces together and do the final shaping.

Also, how fast are you turning the grip. Normally, the faster the turning speed, the easier it is to keep the piece on center.

What is the size of the mandrel that are use to hold the grip?

Of course, I am sure that your turning tools are razor sharp.

One thing that helps for me on a long grip, is to use a ball bearing rest to stabilize the center of the grip as it is being turned. I use a couple layers of blue masking tape to keep the rests from marking the grip.

This is a picture of the ball bearing rest that I use for stabilizing long pieces:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2014 06:21PM by roger wilson.

Date: September 06, 2014 06:40PM

Should have used your mid rest. I just finished gluing up more birch bark rings to remake it. I was going to use the bark for a foregrip. Also will have to redo the tip end of the grip which is tulipwood. The butt end is ok, also tulipwood.
So I've got to reorder some more bark. Already ordered more tulipwood. I like the colors that come out with tulipwood. Thank God it's cheap. Mandrel is an inch in diameter to accommodate the butt end of the blank, 0.975".
The large blank has been throwing me these curveballs.

Lesson learned: turn long grips in more than one step!!

Thanks Roger.

Date: September 06, 2014 06:40PM

Should have used your mid rest. I just finished gluing up more birch bark rings to remake it. I was going to use the bark for a foregrip. Also will have to redo the tip end of the grip which is tulipwood. The butt end is ok, also tulipwood.
So I've got to reorder some more bark. Already ordered more tulipwood. I like the colors that come out with tulipwood. Thank God it's cheap. Mandrel is an inch in diameter to accommodate the butt end of the blank, 0.975".
The large blank has been throwing me these curveballs.

Lesson learned: turn long grips in more than one step!!

Thanks Roger.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2014 10:39PM

Harry, where do you order the birch bark from?

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: September 10, 2014 09:17AM

Harry,

I'm having trouble understanding just what your experiencing, but putting both your post's info together and adding some intuition am I correct in thinking you have glued a tulip wood to stacked birch bark and turned it on a flex-free large diameter mandrel to finish size and shape? If I'm right up to this point, are you saying that it did or didn't turn round or are you saying that it changed shape out of round after removing it from the mandrel? These are two completely different problems. If you could elaborate and clarify what's happening it would be helpful to diagnose your problem(s).

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 20, 2014 10:04PM

Hard to understand how turning the bark and wood on a 1" mandrel can get out of round, unless you are applying lots of pressure when turning.

Additionally, the statement "the center was bored true" is confusing, the center of what? The Birch bark rings, the Tulipwood pieces?

When was the boring done in the process?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster