I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Billy Vivona Double Out Dec Wrap
Posted by: Phil Hageman (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2014 01:56PM

In the photos section of this site I found a dec wrap I really want to do - it's by Billy Vivona. I purchased his book "Decorative Wraps," but can't figure out which wrap it is. It looks like a St. Johns cross variant with fading techniques. Does anyone know the sequence of threads to create this wrap? Here is the URL of the wrap in question: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Billy Vivona Double Out Dec Wrap
Posted by: Everett Barts (---.lightspeed.jcvlfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 07, 2014 11:54AM

Looks like the Out+ Out+ on page 62 of the book.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (68.38.102.---)
Date: September 07, 2014 05:05PM

It is Out+ Out+

Posted by: Phil Hageman (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 07, 2014 07:14PM

Thanks, guys. Will give it a try - if it looks presentable, I'll post a picture. Plan to use black, red, and gold. Will try the fades. Wish me luck, this is my first for this pattern.

Posted by: Phil Hageman (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: September 09, 2014 12:57PM

Billy, Some questions:

1.) On your wrap mentioned above, how many passes and threads on the boxes? The picture gets too fuzzy when I expand it on my computer screen - can 't count them.

2.) Did you use three colors for the cross and both boxes?

3.) Re page 82: On the Out Out spacing chart. I don't understand what A & B = 2.5mm, and B & C = 11mm means.

4.) Are the 2.5 mm and 11 mm numbers calculated somehow, or by trial and error?

Thanks for your help.
R/Phil

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 09, 2014 01:38PM

Billy has some corrections on his site So fix any pages that need it Just to be sure it is all good

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 09, 2014 02:30PM

1) I probably did 1 for teh center (A), and 3 or 4 for (B) and (C)
2) I probably used my shade packs which have 5 colors.
3) The Spacing between Point A and Point B is 2.5mm. The Spacing between point B and point C is 11mm. This measurement is taken along the axis. Look at the page in teh book (I think page 20) that is entited Deciphering The PAttern Sheets. It explains the spacing chart in teh back, hopefully that combined with my expolanation it will make sense to you?
4) The numbers are calculated. YOu can fit 4 threads into 1mm. So if you are doing 8 passes, that will be 8 threads, which equals 2mm. For the background, if you are making 10 passes with bands of 4...that is 40 threads. Divided by 4 (number of threads that fit in a mm) = that portion of the pattern will take up 10mm, thus that is the spacing from one point to the next

Is that clear? If you follow up and I do not reply, feel free to e-mail me so I can get you over the hump - if it makes you feel any better, you are right on teh edge of understanding everything in the book. I get hit with questions all the time, and the ones you are asking are on the more advanced side. I'm looking forward to seeing you figure this out and seeing a pic of the wrap when it's done

Posted by: Phil Hageman (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: September 10, 2014 09:33AM

Will continue studying the book and your answers. Thanks much for taking time with me. I've done some analysis using Excel and am trying to make correlations among the various charts in the book. Very interesting and informative. If interested, once I get it all figured out, I can either post to this site (does it accommodate attachments?) or send to you direct. I have created a spreadsheet that calculates all the centers, top and bottom, by simply entering a few dimensions. Works to perfection. It takes all work out of layout, and, the pattern repeats are absolutely square. Will be using it again on this build and will let you know how it works. Thanks again for your time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster