I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Kayaks and Bulls
Posted by: Kevin Kelly (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: September 04, 2014 12:13AM

Hey y'all, the bull redfish will be showing up in numbers on the Georgia coast soon, and I'm thinking about rods for them. I'll b e fishing from kayaks almost exclusively, Looking to pair them with a Curado 300e (artificials) and an Avet SX (live crab). The first rod I built was a 6'6" glass rod, but it was damaged in the move down here, along with its backup, an old 7' Ugly Stik. Since I'll be in a 16' kayak, I need a long enough rod to reach across the bow. I fish braid on both reels.

For what it's worth, there are also tarpon around this time of year, so it's possible I could get into those. Kayak rods can get banged up, so I'm not especially interested in fancy or pretty, just good solid workhorses. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kayaks and Bulls
Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: September 04, 2014 08:47AM

Kevin, some of my clients are seriously into kayak fishing for bull reds in Mobile bay and for GT's and jack up to 35# in the near shore regions.

Their hands down favorite is the RFLE Seeker S glass 765's( call Lance at Swampland).
All but one prefers it to the Seeker RFLE 726 for the lighter tip allowing good casts with 1/4 oz artificials and soft enough not to rip out trebles on specs.

I use both but always grab the 765 first. Its 7 ft 6: i stretch them up to 8ft for personal use.

Its even good for live baiting with croakers or drop shotted clouser style flies for flounder.

Very tough blank.
I use the castaway 30 mm Microwaves on them for spinning setups: most of us on the Gulf prefer spinning.
I use TiCh #6 fly minima 4's as running guides, passes all knots commonly used except for wind ons and weighs nothing.
Use PG for wrap coating and build weighs little .

Date: September 04, 2014 07:22PM

Looked at the specs. Dang. Butt of .900"? That's a big ol' heavy thing. I'm used to cork handles but thought I might try eva on these. That would probably help it not feel so massive.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: September 05, 2014 03:17AM

Hi Kevin,

You may be able to get very good information from the Uyeda brothers in Hawaii. They are very avid kayak fishermen and I they previously held the kayak world record 194# blue marlin. The brothers are friendly and helpful people.

We did design outriggers (Lamiglas) for their kayak and they are quite pleased.

Here's a link to a video that highlights their achievements. Their email address is at the end of the video.

[www.youtube.com]

And a link to Aqua Hunters forum:
[forum.aquahunters.com]
This above site is all about kayak fishing.

Don Becker

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: September 05, 2014 09:51AM

Yes they are thick blanks.
Build out to about 1/2 of an ugly stick weight if you know what you are doing and very very tough.

Date: September 05, 2014 09:56AM

Lou, i checked out a 15-40 lb BPS spinning rod i have, and it's about the same. So not really as bad as i thought.

They really build out that light? I don't know that i'd say i know what i was doing necessarily :), but if i came close to that, i'd be impressed with the rod and with myself. Thanks

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 05, 2014 10:49AM

The guy who fishes Cape Cod Bay from a kayak for 400+ pound bluefin tuna, what rod blanks does he use? You don't need the same model or weight blank, but I'll bet the maker of those blanks produces a rugged product and probably makes a blank suited for kayak fishing for 40 pound reds.

The guy who fishes Cape Cod Bay from a kayak for 400+ pound bluefin tuna, what rod blanks does he use? You don't need the same model or weight blank, but I'll bet the maker of those blanks produces a rugged product and probably makes a blank suited for kayak fishing for 40 pound reds.

Date: September 05, 2014 10:50AM

Date: September 05, 2014 10:50AM

Date: September 05, 2014 10:51AM

Sorry. My computer apparently has a gear-drive.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster