I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Anglers Workshop sold and moving
Posted by: Roger Pascual (---.statefarm.com)
Date: September 03, 2014 04:16PM

So i am assuming most of you got the letter from Jon Britt of Anglers Workshop regarding the sale of the business and closing the WA store... I am at a loss for words, I live in WA and relied on Anglers for most of my orders. I always attempted to support local first... Now they have been sold to lurepartsonline.com and moving the store to Springfield, IL..... thoughts on this?? good or bad???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anglers Workshop sold and moving
Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 03, 2014 04:40PM

Hi Roger,

Sorry to hear this. Well, what happened to us in the North East when Merrick Tackle closed has now happened on the West Coast. Another big loss for rod builders. Look around and you will find new suppliers. Unfortunately they do not have everything that Merrick and Anglers Workshop stocked. I am very happy and satisfied with my new supplier, excellent service.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Gabe Neal (---.dot.gov)
Date: September 03, 2014 05:49PM

Interesting conversation with Lure Parts, when asked about wholesale they said we are not sure how that works..... I don't see anything on their current site that speaks to a wholesale program for their current line of products.

Tom I hope I have not stepped on any sponsor issues. I was not trying to in anyway. Hopefully they will remain a sponsor.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: September 03, 2014 08:49PM

I didn't get the letter. I ordered mostly from Anglers Workshop because I'm on the west coast, too, and their customer service was good. I hope the sale works out for the owners, everyone is going to retire some time. I'm not familiar with Lure Parts so we will see how this turns out.

Greg
Aptos, CA

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: September 03, 2014 09:21PM

sorry to here, I am hoping it will not interupp the service much they did a good job [ for me ]

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 03, 2014 09:42PM

My "go to" supplier! Dave Lyons was one of the very best customer service people I have dealt with. Know absolutely nothing about "Lurepartsonline", but by their name it sounds like they are not in the area of my interest, "fly fishing & fly rod building."

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-129.myvzw.com)
Date: September 03, 2014 11:51PM

This bums me out, but I hope everything is for the best for Jon and everyone. I usually stopped there a couple times a year, especially when we would have the rod show near by. Oh well, times change.

Good luck to everyone there.

Chris

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: September 04, 2014 08:28AM

I cut my teeth on stuff from Anglers and still use them. Don't know about this lureparts place? all i know is that they are closer to me. I'm sure there will be no discount on shipping tho.

Posted by: Chris Staab (216.75.211.---)
Date: September 04, 2014 04:23PM

Neil, since Merrick closed, who do you use now?

Chris

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 04, 2014 05:06PM

Hi Chris,

I have been using The Rod Room in Alabama and am very satisfied. Great GIRLS! That is what they like to be called. Today they became an advertiser here on Tom Kirkman's site.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Teague Parker (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: September 04, 2014 06:36PM

All the best to the crew, I'm really going to miss Dave, Rick and Jon. New guys are going to have a tough act to follow.

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: September 04, 2014 07:46PM

I have been using Anglers Workshop since it started out as a Mom and Pop place. When you called you were talking to the owners. That is 30+ years ago. I hate to see them leave the West Coast. There was no indication in the letter if Dave, Rick, and Jon were making the move. I am sure another company will appear on the West Cost. Anglers was in the perfect location with Batson, Pac Bay, Lamiglas, and others close by. I will give them a shot once the move is made, but will be looking for a West Coast supplier.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 04, 2014 07:51PM

They are not moving with the company.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dhcp.hspr.ca.charter.com)
Date: September 05, 2014 04:19PM

Maybe they can start a new company...:)

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.static.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: September 07, 2014 01:18PM

Maybe Utmost will increase their variety.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: September 07, 2014 02:11PM

what I got back from ANGLERS WORK SHOP I ASKED THE QUESTION , they did not say where it will be sent to

"""" A small interruption in shipping from the 12th to about the 26th when all the inventory is packed up and moved to new location. """""

Thank you,
Dave Lyons
Anglers Workshop

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: September 10, 2014 02:43PM

Truly a sad, sad, day when I got the email. Living in Michigan, they weren't exactly local, but then again, no one really is except for Jann's. I've dealt with a few different suppliers, but NONE has ever provided me with the customer service and personal touch that Dave Lyons & company provided. I will greatly miss them and wish them all the best in the future, wherever it takes them.

Posted by: Steve Satterfield (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 13, 2014 12:41PM

I'm in there shop 2 or 3 times a month and talked with Jon about the move and feel it is the best for the family. I also told him when the dust settles I'll take him fishing. Dave retired from there last month. I guess I'm going to have to stock more guides and stuff to keep from dealing with shipping delays. Very sad day for me as I buy most of my supplies from them for 30 years

Posted by: Kevin Grady (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2014 02:39PM

Late to this post and just joined this forum.

I just want to add how bummed I am to not have Anglers Workshop to dive into off I-5 in Woodland. Loved that place AND the online shopping. I'm afraid this is the new economy and such parts intensive hobbies seem to all be gravitating to online stores. Be it fishing, bicycling, or electronics components, etc, the brick and mortar stores are being concentrated and reduced.

FYI, Patrick's in Seattle used to keep a good store of rodbuilding components but I was there yesterday and Jimmy LeMert said that he is selling out his remaining inventory and not replacing stock.

Kevin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2014 02:48PM by Kevin Grady.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster