I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

eva sanding paper
Posted by: michael a senzig (---.tampfl.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 03, 2014 02:34PM

What type of paper works best for sanding Eva?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: eva sanding paper
Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: September 03, 2014 02:41PM

Michael,
Sandpaper does not work well on EVA. Try different grads of dry wall sanding screen to shape and smooth EVA. When you get the grip to where you want it use a piece of denim to buff it up.
Buzz

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: September 03, 2014 03:00PM

Among the abrasive papers, I've found that a cloth backed (not paper) stearated abrasive paper works well. Because foam is soft and compliant, heat from frictional abrasion is needed to break down the foam. This process clogs most "sandpapers". Stearated abrasives are much better at preventing build up from accumulating and thus provide better performance. The downside is stearated abrasives are more costly to purchase. Spending a little extra for a more durable backing will really extend the usable life of the abrasive. I have some sample strips in various grades that I obtained from a commercial abrasive supplier that have shaped countless grips and are still holding up well. I find i get the best performance with very high rotational speeds and light pressure.

I'll second Buzz's recommendation as a viable alternative, but personally I prefer working with paper. For me, I found the drywall screen to be quite a bit messier. This isn't really much of a concern though if you have separate clean and dirty work areas. If you want to shape holding a vacuum hose near the mess to collect it as you turn, I think you'll find you get more of the foam into the vacuum hose with a closed backing abrasive strip compared to the screen. The con to the closed back abrasive is that it is a hotter cut and with the extra heat comes a stronger odor. Again this may or may not be a concern for you.

But really, either gets the job done.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 03, 2014 07:46PM

Drywall is the worst thing to use since hte EVA heats up and clogs it. Cloth backed is teh way to go, finding it is difficult though. I have been usin ghte same piece of 40 grit paper for over a year, probably 100 grips and it's still just as good as it was teh first time I used it. I haev a bunch of youtube videos turning EVA grips down, there is no odor at all with it if you do the vacuum trick - I turn at 4000 rpm and experiance NONE of the issues people post about that they have when turning EVA. I really need to make a DVD

Date: September 03, 2014 09:03PM

Thanks for the advice Buzz, but I'm going to stick with Billy on the cloth backed. I like your Idea about the denim for buffing though!!! I use down to 600 wet on my cork. Good Idea I like a smooth finish also.

Date: September 03, 2014 09:34PM

I had planned on using screen for my first run, I do all my work in the same 20' x 24" room. I think I will go with the cloth instead...dust is the arch enemy of Pro Kote finish. Which I recommend over all other finishes. It has a very long work time before it "kicks" and if left alone will finish like glass! I just purchased a Shop-Vac 5986000 5-Gallon 4.5 Peak HP Stainless Steel Wet Dry Vacuum from Amazon with the bag installed you can vacuum up baby powder with it with no dust output and the suction is unbelievable! It was only $67.40 with 2 day free shipping on prime. Thanks for your advice.

Date: September 03, 2014 09:38PM

I was wondering about the turning speed. Why don't you make a DVD? It is not like you are busy with anything else. LOL

Date: September 03, 2014 09:39PM

HEre are quite a few videos on turning EVA grips, and other stuff: [www.youtube.com]

HEre are quite a few videos on turning EVA grips, and other stuff: [www.youtube.com]

Date: September 03, 2014 09:41PM

Thanks Billy...

Date: September 04, 2014 11:48AM

As John posted earlier set up your shop vac nozzle on a homemade stand right in front of the piece you are working on and you will have no trouble with dust. Ive never had a problem with it "clogging up'. just hold it against the shop vac nozzle of a second and its clean again.

Date: September 04, 2014 11:48AM

As John posted earlier set up your shop vac nozzle on a homemade stand right in front of the piece you are working on and you will have no trouble with dust. Ive never had a problem with it "clogging up'. just hold it against the shop vac nozzle of a second and its clean again.

Date: September 04, 2014 03:22PM

I will give it a try.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 04, 2014 04:10PM

Check out Billy's vidios You will learn and answer most all your questions

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster