I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gudebrod thread
Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: September 01, 2014 06:25PM

Does Gudebrod still make rod wrapping thread? I bought some FishHawk and it's terrible (fuzzy and breaks when pulling through) compared to the Gudebrod that I have.

Greg
Aptos, CA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gudebrod thread
Posted by: Karen Hapka - Bingham Ent. (---.kc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 01, 2014 06:30PM

Gudebrod has been out of business for several years now. Check out Makoi thread very similar to Gudebrod
[www.makoithread.com]

Karen

If interested drop me an e-mail.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 01, 2014 06:31PM

Gudebrod is out of business.

Date: September 01, 2014 06:39PM

Thanks Karen, I will get in touch with you.

Greg
Aptos, CA

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.jsbrcmta02.jnboar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: September 01, 2014 09:20PM

Although Gudebrod is out of business, we still have a fair amount of stock left.
Give us a holler or email.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: September 02, 2014 08:33AM

X 2 on the makoi, nice thread.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 02, 2014 01:47PM

ProWrap thread is now the #1 selling rod wrapping thread in the world: [www.proproducts.us]

They have a new line of premium metallics coming out soon as well as B size threads. Order them from Mud Hole at [www.mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 02, 2014 06:12PM

Greg,
If you have trouble with the thread breaking when pulling through, what are you using for a pull thread.

Sometimes if folks use the same thread for a pull string, you can have trouble because of the size of the pull thread. If this is the case, use super braided fishing line in 10 lb test or so which is very thin and pulls very easily.

But, if you have ANY thread that breaks on you with reasonable force and especially if you have ANY thread that results in fuzzies after wrapping; take that spool of thread and drop it into the nearest garbage can.

I have used lots of Fish Hawk thread and have found 0 issues with it either breaking or with fuzzies.

Is it possible that you are wrapping your thread too tightly? I basically wrap my guides, so that I can just barely move the guide using two fingers to move it. If you can't move the guide at all, then the wrap is too tight. If the guide moves with one finger, the guide is too loose.

In addition, Pac Bay also makes excellent thread. I have never had any issues with Pac Bay thread either.

If you haven't tried using braided fishing line for a pull string, make up a bunch of pull strings from them. I put a brightly colored bead in each pull string so that I can easily see it on the work bench or on the floor if it falls off the bench. With no bead on the string, it is very difficult to see. I have also use line floats to put on the pull string as well. These add even more bulk to the pull string and make it even easier to use and to see.

Be safe

Date: September 02, 2014 10:50PM

Roger, I use braid for the pull through loop, with a salmon egg bead on it. I had purchased a big Fishhawk assortment and I realized I had been making do with it beause I used an old Gudebrod chestnut spool on the last rod and it was so nice and easy to work with. Maybe just a bad batch, should have chucked it a long time ago.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: September 03, 2014 02:59PM

Lou Auret Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> X 2 on the makoi, nice thread.

Lou,

Thank you for the nice comment. It is appreciated.

Just a quick update regarding Makoi thread.

At ICRBE we introduced our Premium Holographic Braid. At the time we had 7 colors available. As of a week ago we have introduced 5 additional colors. Hopefully I can find some time in the immediate future to update our website to add our new braid.

Several months ago I promised to look into Holographic Metallic Thread after finishing the Premium Holographic Braid. Today I started to procuring the Holographic Thread. We will start with size A in silver and gold.

Thank you,
Don

Don Becker

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2014 12:07PM by Donald Becker.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster