I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

question I could not answer
Posted by: Buddy McMikel (---.kcc.com)
Date: August 31, 2014 06:24AM

I had a coworker ask me if I could order rod blanks from major rod company's like Falcon , Doblyon, ect. or am I only limited to blanks from Mudd Hole.
I have only ordered and built about a half dozons rods so I didn't know.
I personally like the MHX blanks but have to admit I haven't used any other brand outside what you can buy at a tackle store, Bass Pro and Wally World.
Can anyone help me answer my coworkers question and let myself know of other good quality blanks that you have ordered to build?
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: question I could not answer
Posted by: Scott Kelly (---.sub-70-194-103.myvzw.com)
Date: August 31, 2014 07:03AM

I know St Croix sells blanks but they sell them for the same price as you can buy them anywhere else. It's so they don't out compete their own sellers. I'm guessing others are the same. St Croix does have one advantage over Mudhole by being located right in the center of the universe for ruffed grouse hunting.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 31, 2014 07:48AM

There must be ten dozen companies offering rod blanks, so no, you're not limited to just the offerings from Mud Hole, although they carry a broad assortment.

But most commercial rod manufacturers do not offer their blanks to the public, nor even make their own to begin with.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 31, 2014 08:16AM

Hi,

Here are a few that you can order from.

Batson, CTS, Hydra, RodGeeks and I am sure there are others.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 31, 2014 11:38AM

You need to check out other options, not that Mudhole is not good. They are, but there are others that are good, too, and Mudhole does not offer every blank or component. For example, they don't carry Batson stuff, and Batson has some great blanks and other speciallty components that no on else offers. I suggest you go right down the sponsor list on the left when you have some time, and check their offerings. Then, do a Google search for fishing rod blanks and you'll find more. I know of one popular and good store that is not on the sponsor list, and there are probably more. But you will find probably more than you would ever want from just using the sponsors.

Posted by: Buddy McMikel (---.dsl.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 31, 2014 03:44PM

Thanks for the info guys.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 01, 2014 01:00PM

Some manufacturers will permit you to order direct, but be prepared to by a large quantity. They'll encourage you to buy from distributors (Utmost, Anglers Workshop, Mud Hole, etc) for small quantities. If you consider the cost of carrying inventory that you may have around for a long time, paying a little more through a disti and only buying what you need will be better for you in the long run. If you build a lot of certain models, it may be worthwhile but most single builders will have trouble justifying the expense.

Terry

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: September 01, 2014 03:45PM

Buddy McMikel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can anyone help me answer my coworkers question
> and let myself know of other good quality blanks
> that you have ordered to build?

What company/companies meet your needs?

Here are a few specifics about Lamiglas:

Lamiglas does import some entry level rods. The rods are made in China. They do not sell the blanks separately.

Lamiglas does manufacture top quality blanks. These blanks are both made into rods and sold separately.

The blanks are sold though the Lamiglas network to distributors, wholesalers, tackle shops and individuals.

Individuals can purchase blanks from the Lamiglas website (or through customer service), retail outlets, etc..

Although you can purchase only one blank directly from Lamiglas, you may find it more cost effective (shipping wise) to purchase more than one blank.

Should you want your blank to be painted, Lamiglas will do it for you at a minimal cost. If you buy 10 or 12 (?) blanks, I understand the painting will be free.

You may find it helpful to review the Lamiglas warranty plans.

Hope this has been helpful,
Don
Lamiglas Sales Rep, Hawaii

Don Becker

Posted by: MHX Rod Blanks (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 02, 2014 02:11PM

Hi Buddy,

MHX blanks are the #1 selling blank for several reasons. We encourage you to look around but ask they vendors the following:
Do you offer a limited life time transferable warranty?
Can you register the warranty online?
Does your warranty transfer from the custom rod builder to the customer?
Are your blanks individually serial numbered?
Do you offer application specific blanks?
What is the quality control procedures for your blanks?
Do they offer recommended guide layouts?
Do they offer blank OD's for winding checks and exposed reel seat sizing?.
How many blanks have they sold and what are the return rates?

Good luck in your search and if we can be of service let us know, thanks.

Tight Lines,
MHX Rod Blanks
Web: [www.fishmhx.com]
Follow us on Facebook [www.facebook.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster