I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Compare 7' vs 7'6"
Posted by: Ron Hord (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 30, 2014 09:41PM

Kind of a basic question. If I have two blanks one 7'6" and one 7'0" and they are both Med Heavy and both have a Fast Tip. Will they feel the same except for one being longer? Will the 7'0" be a little stiffer?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Compare 7' vs 7'6"
Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: August 30, 2014 11:24PM

The lengths of rod blanks are just one design factor in how the blank will perform. The material(s) and how it(they) is(are) cut and the amount used will be more significant in determining how the actions turn out. Putting your blanks under the same load should tell you something about how they will respond as rods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2014 11:27PM by Ross W Pearson.

Date: August 31, 2014 12:18AM

Thanks Ross,
I don't have the blanks yet. I am considering which one to order to build a bait caster. They are listed as the same specs, from the same manufacturer. They are rated for the same line size, same lure weights. The 7'6" would have one more guide.

Thanks again.

Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: August 31, 2014 12:39AM

If you are able to talk with a technician with the manufacturer, they could probably answer your questions pretty well and help you make your choice. It would be the next best thing to having both blanks in your hands for comparison.

Posted by: Jimmy Crain Jr (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: August 31, 2014 03:03AM

If they are from the same manufacture like you have said I would bet money that they are actually the same blank with just the tip cut a bit shorter on the 7ft version. That said I would guess the longer rod would be a bit faster in tip action/sensitivity. You could confirm my suspicion if they give tip top diameters. I would think the longer rod would have a bit of a smaller tip.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 31, 2014 04:49AM

Assuming they are the same blank but one is just cut shorter, perhaps the manufacturer cut from the butt end. that's a big assumption in the first place. I would like to think the manufacturer designed each blank to it's own taper and specs, including those only 6 inches apart in overall length. I would do as Ross suggested.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 31, 2014 07:51AM

If one has just been cut shorter, then the action won't be the same. Some companies indeed do this, but many others have individual mandrels for building different lengths in the same power and action.

As far as whether or not they'll "feel" the same, not quite, as the longer blank will have a broader weight distribution, and will, of course, weigh a little more to begin with.

Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 31, 2014 08:31AM

Ron,

Yes, I would venture to say that the shorter rod, even if it had the identical CCS ratings for power and action, would FEEL stiffer. I cut almost every blank for the rods that I build and although the power is reduced and the action slows, the resulting shorter rod feels stiffer and more responsive to me. CCS values can be misleading when it comes to rod length. Not to say that the values are not valid, but some of the rods other characteristics will affect how the rod feels.

Date: August 31, 2014 09:24AM

It's not the CCS that would be misleading in that instance - it would be the person interpreting them and wrongly thinking that equal ERN and AA numbers in two different length blanks are supposed to represent blanks that "feel" the same. All those numbers would indicate is that the two blanks have equal power and action. But I'm sure some do make the mistake of correlating just those characteristics without regarding how length affects the overall "feel" picture.

For "feel" you want to use the CCS Frequency component which will accurately showcase the difference in "feel" between two blanks with similar power and action, but in different lengths. The short blank will "feel" stiffer because it will respond and recover more quickly than the longer one.

It's important to use the right tool for the specific job and Frequency is the best place to go for comparing "feel."

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 31, 2014 12:26PM

Ron,
There are several manufacturers who have virtually the same mandrel for the 7 foot and the 7 foot 6 inch blank.

The difference is, for these particular manufacturers, an extra 6 inches of blank length in the butt section of the rod.

i.e. if you lay the two blanks side by side, starting from the tip, they are identical down to the end of the 7 foot blank. Then, the 7 foot 6 inch blank just gradually increases in size.

If you were to hold or grip these two rods at the same 6'5" from the tip, they would be identical in power and action.

But, of course all manufacturers do not use the same mandrel and could have a radically different action between the blanks.

Be safe

Date: August 31, 2014 01:27PM

As Tom said previously, although two different length rods could be made on the same mandrel, the shorter rod won’t be the same action, nor will the power. The manufacturer would probably spec the shorter rod differently. It’s not likely that the two blanks in question are made on the same mandrel, but since manufacturer’s ratings tend to be vague or ill-defined, it’s possible.

Posted by: Adam Lancia (---.pppoe-dynamic.High-Speed.ns.bellaliant.net)
Date: September 01, 2014 11:04AM

I hope you guys don't mind me jumping in here, but I have a kinda related question. The tip to a spinning rod broke about 4 inches from the tip, taking the next guide with it. I put a new tip top on it and have been fishing it since, it's fishing fine. My question is: since the tip broke, how does the action change in relation to that break? It's a medium power, moderate action blank to begin with so it's fairly slow and is great for throwing light inline spinners, it still does this well. I'm more interested in the theoretical change in tip action, if any. Is it safe to assume that the action is slightly faster than moderate now? I figure since the most flexible part of the rod is now gone and the rod is shorter, that will make it "feel" a little stiffer than before...? I didn't have a chance to fish the rod a bunch before the tip broke so it's hard for me to discern the difference.

Thanks allowing me to jump in!

Date: September 01, 2014 01:29PM

The action is now slower and the casting lure weight range would be a little higher than it was previously.

Yes it should feel a bit stiffer, and actually is.

Date: September 01, 2014 01:37PM

Adam,
Four inches is quite a bit off the tip of a rod, but since it was a moderate action to begin with and probably has a very slow taper, it might be acceptable to you, especially if the rod was fairly long to begin with. Being 4” shorter would make it slower and definitely stiffer. The power rating would also increase as well as the lure weight range. Assuming the current tip size is still relatively small, it may be more sensitive than it was…….if that’s a plus for you.
I have cut many rods down, but rarely that much off the tip. There are pros and cons and IMO, I’ve found that spinning rods are less tolerant of tip cutting of more than an inch or so. On several of my “failed experiments”, I ended up stripping the rods and rebuilding as casting rods, which proved to be more serviceable with the slowed action.

Date: September 03, 2014 03:07AM

Thanks. Great info as usual. Have to do some thinking now.

Date: September 03, 2014 03:07AM

Thanks. Great info as usual. Have to do some thinking now.

Posted by: Adam Lancia (---.eastlink.ca)
Date: September 03, 2014 06:31AM

Tom and Jim, thank you for your answers, I really appreciate it! There is such a wealth of knowledge on here, I am really happy that I found this site.

Jim, it was a 7' rod so it being a little shorter isn't a big deal. I really like the way it casts now versus before it broke, talk about a silver lining, eh?!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster