I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ice rod guides and blanks
Posted by: Jared Wetovick (---.pinnbank.com)
Date: August 29, 2014 02:49PM

Hi everyone. New to the forum but have been reading many many threads for months now. Thanks for all the info. I am just starting to get into building ice rods for a hobby. Main questions so far are 1.) are recoil guides really worth the extra money? I have ordered regular single foot fly guides and 1 spinning guide for my builds. I do have a Thorne Bros perch sweetheart that i just purchased last month with recoil guides but have not been able to fish it yet to see benefits of the recoil. I am using size 10 spinning guide and then #6 fly guides the rest of the rod so that it can be used inside and outside.
2.) I have purchased MHX blanks so far along with a couple solid fiberglass rods from mudhole to try out. I also ordered 1 noodle blank from DH Custom to try out. I'd like to build on the Thorne Bros blanks but they are twice the price as the MHX blanks. If you have used both the TB and the MHX can you give me some insight on if the TB are twice as good? Keep in mind I'm no professional fisherman, just a weekend warrior.
Thanks in advance for the advice!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ice rod guides and blanks
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 29, 2014 11:14PM

Although you pay for them, Thorne Brothers blanks are tough to beat.

One of the biggest reasons for the success that Thorne brothers blanks have enjoyed, is that each blank number has been designed and tested to do a given job very very well.

Recoil guides are a 100% waste of money. Certainly they do a fine job. But a $10 set of stainless or fly guides work just as well and are much less expensive.

Also, no reason to use ceramic rings in any guides that you put on an ice rod.

Fish caught under the ice are very lethargic and tend to make few if any runs.
You never cast with an ice rod, but rather just pull the line off the reel and let the bait go down the hole. So, virtually no friction on the guides.

Any of the non ringed guides manufactured by several different makers will all work fine.

If you are talking about a 3 oz rod, the use of recoils might save you 1/10th of an oz or so.

Be safe

Posted by: Jared Wetovick (---.omah.qwest.net)
Date: August 30, 2014 12:46AM

Thanks Roger. I know TB blanks are super but are the MHX blanks made to very close the same specs??

Date: August 30, 2014 01:08PM

Jared,
All that you can do is to buy the appropriate blanks and compare them.
Be safe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 30, 2014 07:46PM

Get the better priced blank if you think or do not trust it -- go up to the next heaver one -- No casting
Not a heck of a lot to worry about just as long as it will handle the fish ???

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 31, 2014 12:31PM

Bill,
Blank types and sizes are not that relevant in ice rods compared to long rods.

The reason for this, is that one can easily land a very large fish on a very light weight and sort rod. All that one has to do, is to simply point the tip of the rod straight down the hole, and use your arm, elbow and wrist to land the fish.

Perhaps the biggest difference in ice rod blanks is to have a blank that has the right action, right tip etc. to be able to make catching a particular fish a lot of fun.

The brother of a good friend, landed a 15 lb Sturgeon on a very light rod, with 4 lb test line that he was using to catch crappies and sunnies. It took quite a while, but he has the pictures of the big fish in the ice house.

Be safe

Date: August 31, 2014 05:27PM

In that case all ya got to worry about is will the line hold up to pulling up the fish
Your not putting pressor on the blank sticking it streight down the hole

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 31, 2014 09:09PM

Bill,
That is correct.

But, for an excellent ice rod blank there are many other considerations with respect to power, speed, diameter. All of these things affect the action of the rod, as it is used for a particular style fishing.

Be safe

Date: September 01, 2014 05:06PM

Good lord
You can use a brown stick put guides on it
If you want to feel the bit keep Your Finger On The Line The line goes to the hook and bait If you can not feel it then you never will
OK a brown stick is a little harsh But you get the picture

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 01, 2014 06:27PM

Bill ,
You can say the same thing about any fishing rod.

You can take a 10 foot piece of pipe and tie a string on the end and catch as many fish as you want.

Your choice.

Be safe

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: September 01, 2014 09:05PM

I have bought many MHX ice blanks and have bee very happy with them. That being said the MHX light panfish rod is MUCH heavier than the Thorne Brothers version. Different strokes for different folks but I like a very light panfish rod. Mine that I also built with an integrated titanium spring bobber can throb with the movement of a minnow at 20 feet.

The MHX blanks are very good for the money but if your buying just one you might want to go where you can feel it. If your buying a few to work out give them a try I am sure you will like them but maybe not for the way they are labeled.

REC guides, I love them for many things ice rods is not one of them. They do have a memory in cold weather and you will find they will stick in a certain position when cold. If your in a shack your good but why not buy the same fly guide for .25 ?

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: September 01, 2014 11:37PM

Microlite blanks from Janns Netcraft work wonders for pan fish. I rig them with single foot light wire fly guides and a stripper and their 2.5/64 tip tops. I also use the foam handles they sell. Light, sensitive and tough,(and they will not cost you an arm and a leg. )

Posted by: Scott Nordlund (---.pppoe.dlrp.pub.gwtc.net)
Date: September 02, 2014 12:03AM

Jared,

I love using Minima guides on most of my rods, both hard- and soft-water. They are cost-effective, easy to clean out, and have as much or more inside diameter per guide size than most other options.

The blank options just come down to feel and how you fish....noodle rod or pike pole, watching the minnow breathe vs waiting for the head shake and line movement. They all work...it's just up to you.

The good news is...you can build many more ice rods per summer rod (in most cases) and find out just what trips your flag (so to speak)

You've already got a good start by doing your homework ahead of time and comparing against some quality pre-built rods. Ask lots of questions and listen closely...there's a TON of knowledge on these pages...but it's still up to you to try it.

Trust me, it will be worth every minute. That's exactly how I started.

Good Luck to you.

-SN

Date: September 05, 2014 07:25PM

Roger

That piece of pipe will not work if you want to CAST a lure You still need something that flexes and the right weight to LOAD the rod
it is just a little Common Sense Depends if you want o let the ROD pull up the fish or Stick The Rod Down The Hole and let the Reel to it

Unles you rub the rod up and down the hole you don't need recoils Minimas - 4"s large rings so the water does not freeze up quickly

heck your money

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2014 07:50PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Jared Wetovick (---.pinnbank.com)
Date: September 09, 2014 10:15AM

Thanks for the help everyone. Just built the first ice rod using the black fly guides #6 and has turned out great!. I will be using them on most of my builds. I'm using the medium build prokote epoxy and had a couple questions. After 8 hrs of dry time the finish is still a bit sticky. I sure tried to make darn sure the mix was 1:1 and i mixed for 4 minutes. I am assuming I will just have to put another coat of finish on? My next question is, the epoxy says one must mix at least 3ml of each but this leaves me with a LOT of extra finish after doing an ice rod. Does anyone mix in smaller amounts and have acceptable results? Thanks again

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: September 09, 2014 04:55PM

the reason for the 3ml mix is mixing less and achieving the 1:1 is tough, at that point one drop with toss it off.

If after 8 hours it is still tacky toss on another thin coat, it will solve the problem. heat, humidity with both effect the dry time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster