I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Knots in a spool of thread!!!
Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 29, 2014 12:03PM

UGH!!!

Yesterday and today while doing a wrap the despicable thread knot reared it's ugly self. Wasted time and wasted thread. I find it hard to believe that as rod builders we can not buy thread that guarantees a knot joining two pieces of thread does not exist in the spool! Every brand of thread I have used over the years had this problem.These knots might be okay for clothing manufactures BUT in a wrap it stares you down if you do not redo the wrap.

Many of our suppliers also build rods so I would think they would tell the manufactures NO KNOTS!!! Spools with knots should be sold as SECONDS.

I use only thread made for rod builders and the brand in question is advertised on this site

UGH! I should have gone fishing this beautiful day..

Sorry for a negative post.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Knots in a spool of thread!!!
Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.as22781.net)
Date: August 29, 2014 12:16PM

Every spool of Gudebrod I ever owned had at least one of the joining knots within the spool somewhere. Never made sense to me why it would not be cheaper to just let that spool run out and start another one. Somebody had to take time to tie that little knot. I'm guessing?

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: August 29, 2014 12:51PM

in all my years of building I've only encountered one knot. it was in a spool of Persalls gossamer silk. That being said now I've jinked myself.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 29, 2014 01:23PM

In using many spools of thread over the years, I have encountered one knot. So, at least for me, it has been a very seldom occurrence.

However, I do agree with the original post. If a full spool can not be placed on a spool of thread, the spool should be discarded and a new spool started by the manufacturer.

Be safe

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 29, 2014 01:52PM

It has happened to me several times at least with Gudebrod but knowing that their main business was more for making surgical threads I could see maybe not as much attention to produce for us got attention. I can only remember having problem with 1 oz spool but not the 4 oz spools. Also cant remember it happening with Sunset or Holland threads. The inconsistancy with dye lots was even more frustrating. So far Madiera has been pretty consistant but I do have to deal with the silicone or whatever they use for lubricant in the thread for machine work.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 29, 2014 05:01PM

I have used Gudebrod and Holland thread for over 40 years, in 50 and 100 yd spools, 1 oz and 4 oz spools and never had knot show up. !000's of yds of thread. I still have probably 10 to 15 thousand yds of thread in stock and no knots. Must be newer production issues.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 29, 2014 05:10PM

I only had the knots show up when I happened to be tying off a decorative butt wrap or weave. Never any other time.

Not altogether rare, but far from non-existant.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 29, 2014 08:47PM

Long time Gudebrod user, and have never had a knot in any spool. Now watch tonite it will rear it's ugly head.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 29, 2014 08:59PM

Man, you guys are fortunate.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster