I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Maker Magazine Question !
Posted by: Tom Loucks (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 28, 2014 12:47AM

I am not sure if I am violating the rules of this forum. If so feel free to handle this post accordingly.

I have many old issues of Rod Maker Magazine (51) all in perfect condition and I was wondering if there was any demand or market for these magazines.
The magazine and articles have been invaluable to me and also a great referance to me.
Thank you for any input.

Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Maker Magazine Question !
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 28, 2014 07:28AM

You can put them on the buy sell page if you're wanting to sell them.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 28, 2014 08:01AM

Good morning,

This is an interesting topic. After many years of being a rod builder considerable inventory and stuff has been collected. Now we reach an age where it might be time to down size or even stop rod building. So, what to do with all this inventory and stuff? The fine issues of RodMaker fit into this category. I have all the issues except 1-1 and 1-2 in fine condition. The question is what to charge for all these issues. What will the market demand? Is there a demand? Tom K, any help here?

I believe in an having an exit strategy but the limited number of rod builders willing to buy out a business inventory is limited. Of course it is very easy to find vultures willing to pay 10 cents on the dollar.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Date: August 28, 2014 08:59AM

There is a demand for the magazines and the "stuff." With today's vast array of marketing venues via the internet, it really just becomes an issue of getting what you want to sell in front of the right person.

One area that many overlook, however, is that blanks and components change so frequently now that often there isn't a high dollar market for older stuff. I have boxes of older Fuji guides, seemingly not very old, but I'd have to practically give them away at this point. Builders tend to want the latest and greatest, and many items, particularly components, have improved so much over the past few years that the older items have little monetary value these days.

Posted by: Bill Marchisella (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 28, 2014 10:48AM

Tom is right. I tried to sell some Holland thread, thinking I would not have any trouble. Didn't get a bite. I finally bartered with Doc for one of his jigs. My bargain didn't turn out to be such a great one for me.
.I still have plenty left.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 28, 2014 02:27PM

Years ago I bought out a well know rod builders inventory s he retired. Holland thread came with it. Special colors were used by weavers doing tuna weaves. I shipped those colors all over the place. This was before Madera thread started to be used in rod building. I am sure builders are still looking for certain colors of Holland hread. Let the word get out.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Chris Staab (216.75.211.---)
Date: August 28, 2014 02:30PM

With the internet, and all the resources available, i would think it would be a challenge to sell them.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.onlinehome-server.info)
Date: August 28, 2014 04:36PM

You can sell the magazines. They contain way more good rod building information than you will find on the internet. And I emphasize that word "good." I get out my back issues some time and browse through them a bit and forget just how many far and wide topics the mag has covered in detail. Last night I went back into some of the earlier issues and re-read the article on photo etching, and then revisited the metal spinning piece.Two techniques I would still like to try if I can get up the nerve. Sure you can find similar topics on the 'net but not as they apply specifically to rod building. And those are just two out of hundreds. Put those mags on the buy sell page and I will bet they sell quickly.

Date: August 28, 2014 04:49PM

There's a ton of rod building information on the internet these days, but it generally follows the magazine (much of it came from the magazine). I'm not married to this thing and when the day comes that the same quality and extent of information on rod building can be found on the internet as in the magazine, and assuming the internet is leading with new techniques, I'll stop publishing the magazine. But I don't see that happening for a good while yet. One day surely, but no time soon.

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 29, 2014 06:25PM

There is definitely a market for them. I'm in the process of trying to put a complete set together picking them up here and there as I can. I also own the cd with the issues, but there is just something about being able to have the magazine in hand. I shot you an email through the buy/sale page. If you don't mind, shoot me a list of the issues you have when you get time.

Take care,

Jeremy Reed
Reed Rods

Posted by: mike ritchie (---.dsl.aus2tx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 03, 2014 03:56PM

Tom I would really be interested in the magazines if u still have them please call 1-512-293-9810 mike

Posted by: Tom Loucks (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: September 04, 2014 01:39AM

Mike :
I think they are spoken for but I wont know for sure till Thursday. So to be fair I will wait till then, and if they turn out to be still available
I will definately contact you.

Tom
t-loucks@hotmail.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster