I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2pc inshore blank, speckled trout/redfish
Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 27, 2014 09:03PM

Looking for a recommendation for a 7', two piece, (possibly orange) inshore spinning blank to handle speckled trout and occasional redfish? Casting lures mostly, 3000 spinning reel used, 12lb braid w/mono leader.

Many thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2014 07:20AM by Mike Canavan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2pc Orange inshore blank?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 27, 2014 09:24PM

CTS and Rodgeeks do.

Date: August 27, 2014 10:49PM

Thank you Tom, I wasn't sure if Rodgeeks offered a two pc inshore, but I will check with both mfgs. Appreciate your help!

Date: August 28, 2014 07:17AM

I'm a freshwater builder, this inshore spinning build for a friend is new territory -- Would a blank such as a MHX Inshore series SJ842-2 be a good choice? Casting lures mostly, 3000-size spinning reel, 12lb braid w/mono leader.

Thanks again!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2014 07:21AM by Mike Canavan.

Re: 2pc inshore blank, speckled trout/redfish
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 28, 2014 09:06AM

There are so many choices in blanks nowadays but for reds and specks I would go with an 843 blank in a popping or SJ type blank. You get more power to pull a red away from a shell reef but still have a rod that you can cast soft plastics, top waters, and popping corks. I still use an 842 when fishing open water, especially during the fall when I am "fishing the birds" with light plastic shrimp tails. I also like the 842 when dragging Gulp grubs for flounder. However, if I could only have one rod it would have to be an 843. My newest rod that I have yet to try is a white, one piece, MHX SJ843 that I bought from Swampland Tackle. I really like white blanks and MHX makes a good blank. If you decide to go with an 822 I recommend the Batson Forecast SB 822.5 white blank. An inexpensive blank that I also bought from Swampland Tackle. I have caught reds in the three to six pound range with no problems with this rod. That's my ten cents (inflation).

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.wavecable.com)
Date: August 28, 2014 09:55AM

Rainshadow IP843F-M >> nice 2 pc 7' popping blank. 8-14 lb test 1/4-5/8 lure rating>> contact a dealer in your area..

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.bbr0.bncrpa.npacc.net)
Date: August 28, 2014 11:17AM

Thanks very much for the suggestions - very appreciated! I will look into these blanks. Have a great day gentlemen!

Posted by: Devin Romanowski (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: August 28, 2014 12:50PM

I really like the sj842 its a good all around blank the sj843 is also nice but I feel the 842 does better on lighter lures in the winter time. I also built one on the batson ip843 also a good blank for throwing plastics

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: August 28, 2014 01:55PM

I build a lot of inshore rods for specs and reds. My go to blanks are the P-843-2 MHX and the Batson XP843 (although this model is being replaced). Popping blanks have a nice soft tip for trout and enough backbone for reds.

Date: August 28, 2014 04:36PM

Thanks again very much - appreciated!

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 28, 2014 05:17PM

Since you have had advice for SJ (spin jig) and popping blanks....but nobody has mentioned the difference....IMHO a SJ has a much stronger tip than a popping blank. It might have more over all power too. Personally I'd lean towards the popping blank for trout because of their soft mouths. On the other hand I might lean towards a spin jig for casting single hook lures. So it sorta depends on details you have not mentioned.

A "3" power popping rod is going to do well fishing popping corks with live shrimp or lures with treble hooks. A "2" power spin jig is better suited for fishing jigs and spinner baits. Bump each one up a notch in power if you are talking gator trout and larger reds.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 28, 2014 05:22PM

All blanks cast well with a certain weight lure Even fly blanks

Find out the lure weight he is casting
This will help in getting a blank
or find out what he is using now and how it works for him Get all the spects and lure weight

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 02, 2014 10:42AM

He's tossing mostly Super Spook Jrs. - 3 1/2 in,, 1/2 oz.

Would a MHX P844-2-MHX (rated to 5/8oz.) be better suited for topwater fishing with this size lure than a P843?

Thanks again!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster