I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Demystifying the K-Series
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 27, 2014 03:43PM

As many of you know, the K-Series guide selection from Fuji has exploded very quickly in just the past 24 months or so. Along with it came a deluge of information including a new "CONCEPT". Some have picked up the key points and rolled with it while others have struggled. Oddly, those confused seem to be at opposite ends of the spectrum: new builders who are trying to pick and choose what to "study" and "old" builders who would rather keep building the "old" way rather than try to sort through the confusion of all the "K stuff". I just posted a blog that I hope will clear up many of the questions I am asked every day and make it possible for some of you to move forward with a little more confidence. Thanks!

[anglersresource.net]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Demystifying the K-Series
Posted by: John Shear (198.135.125.---)
Date: August 27, 2014 05:13PM

Made sense until the RV came along. Now on a (low profile bass) casting rod I shouldn't use a KW10 stripper with KT5 runners? What would it hurt?

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Posted by: Ladd Flock (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: August 27, 2014 09:31PM

Very helpful - especially the insight into the KB belly guide. It'd be great if you could mark up some of your rod nomenclature diagrams and mark which K and RV guide goes where... [anglersresource.net]

Thanks Jim.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2014 09:51PM by Ladd Flock.

Posted by: Devin Romanowski (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: August 27, 2014 09:42PM

from what i understood is they want you to use the RV for micro rods only. Anyone try the RV on a spiral wrapped rod?

Date: August 28, 2014 09:34AM

Wouldn't hurt a thing John. The RV is the next step to an even less restrictive stripper not only for baitcasters but spinners as well. The reverse design completely eliminates line slap against the frame but they have still kept the tangle free sloped design of the K. There are other design changes that address potential line "snags" and "slow-downs" that make the RV a pretty advanced frame. We are getting details now about a possible year end release.

The KW10 was chosen primarily because of its height, but Fuji noticed that the ring really didn't need to be as big as a 10 if the height was there - enter size 6 RV. The size 6 controls line faster but is at the right height between the spool and the runners to manage line on the cast. Plus the reverse design eliminates line drag across the frame during the cast.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 28, 2014 10:44AM

Jim,

Thank you for your blog and thank Fuji fort bring out the RV Guide. I've been using the KBAG's for the striper and have been concerned about the strength for that applicant, (due to boat rash)!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: John Shear (198.135.125.---)
Date: August 28, 2014 02:38PM

Got it Jim. Thanks for the followup.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 28, 2014 04:33PM

Good work , Jim. Does the RV look better "in person?" :-)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 28, 2014 05:41PM

Jim

You have TO Many Guides that should be used for to many ways ---- that is why people are getting confused !!
You tilt a ring - this does a certain thing You turn a casting guide around and it is to be used for another thing ??? PLEASE

It is nice to have many products ON THE MARKET -- BUT -- They all do the same thing And unless one will give 20 FOOT more casting distance All you are selling is HIPE

No Offense ment BUT

The only thing is that I see is the Microw Wave SPINNING guides
You will get many to BUY cause your are FUJI BUT ???!!!

I read posts like this and HOLY GOD -- And the KISS methoud does work Get simple TOO MUCH

And this post is closed

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Everett Barts (---.lightspeed.jcvlfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 28, 2014 10:00PM

Thanks for the post Jim.

My latest personal builds I used the K-R for my guide train to get a better understaning of the system. Yep, I'm getting > 20 feet on my fishing partner.
Guy can't even complete when site fishing for redfish, it's almost unfair.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 29, 2014 07:17AM

Buy what you want and don't buy what you don't want, Bill. As for me, I'm all in with Fuji except for rods where guide height has to be limited, like for rod tubes and travel. But even there, Fuji has the product, and they are good, tough, products, unlike some on the market. Keep it up, Fuji.

We are, in my opinion, very lucky to have so many fine companies providing great product for us who are interested in rodmaking. With that tremendous variety of product comes some complexity. That is much better than having only a couple choices.

Date: August 29, 2014 10:17AM

Bill. Thanks for the comments. You are a constant reminder that we need to remember to promote the products that have remained unchanged for 30+ years. I do, however, take issue with the fact that even in a blog post that deals strictly with proper use of the product you can somehow find the "HIPE", particularily when you gobbled up the MicroWave story like a Channel Cat in a tailrace.

Date: August 29, 2014 02:34PM

BTW, thanks to those of you who found the blog informative - as I intended. It takes a fair amount of time to organize and write a comprehensive piece and it's nice to know someone appreciates it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster