I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bent Rod
Posted by: Mel Camat (---.click-network.com)
Date: August 27, 2014 07:55AM

Hi Guys, I had a question regarding a rod Im doing a repair for a friend. Anyways after getting and old guide out and scrapping out the epoxy I leaned the rod upper half on a wall while I wait for the parts to come in. I picked up the rod and noticed it was bent. Im not sure if where I left It the sun got to it and got it to bend and stay bent....or was it always bent and didn't notice it. Will the sun do this to a rod and if so is there a way to correct this like zip it to a pipe and baking it on the sun again?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bent Rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 27, 2014 09:55AM

If it's a graphite rod, then it's probably just the natural curve. Modern carbon fiber rods and their related epoxy resins aren't prone to taking a set from leaning or mild heat. Old glass rods are a different story, of course. What type rod is it?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 27, 2014 01:08PM

Mel,
I am guessing that the rod was bent when it came in.

Wrap the guides on, coat them and ship the rod.

Be safe

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 27, 2014 06:31PM

If it is a Bamboo rod, it will definitely take a set if leaned in the sun or otherwise. I have never seen a fiberglass or graphite rod take a set. But there is always a first time. Most curves in the blank occur due to non-straight mandrel or being removed from the mandrel too soon after be cooked and the shrink tape causes the curve. JMO

Posted by: Dennis Hamilton (---.google.com)
Date: August 27, 2014 11:05PM

I had four gloomis rods that kept the shape of my maverick flats boat rod gunnels during a hurricane evacuation. It was open air and never got above 85 in October. Had twelve rods and only the loomis rods did it. Of course they told me it was my fault and it would take excess of 200 degrees to reshape like that so no warranty was issued. Never bought another overpriced rod/blank from them again because of that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2014 11:06PM by Dennis Hamilton.

Date: August 27, 2014 11:27PM

Well the said rod is a Lamiglass salmon moocher rod. I feel bad that I didn't check the existing condition if it was straight or not. I just haven't seen a rod bend and stay bent due to the sunlight. as of now I'll assume the it came in crooked, repair the rod and return it.

Date: August 28, 2014 01:41AM

Mel,
Depending on the bend, if you can, have the bend either go up, or down.
But not side to side.

If the bend is up or down, it the bend is really not noticeable to the user of the rod.

But, if the bend is pronounced and is to one side or the other, will be pretty obvious.

Take care

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.as22781.net)
Date: August 28, 2014 09:12AM

If the seat is already on and in place you will just have to go back with it where it is. I would not trust putting any heat to the rod and even if you got the curve out it would probably come back as soon as the guy used the rod a bit.

Posted by: Shawn Grimm (130.76.64.---)
Date: August 28, 2014 11:40AM

Try leaning it in the same position, rotated 180 degrees and see if the bend comes out?

Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.midco.net)
Date: August 28, 2014 06:29PM

My first guess is that it is the natural spine, however, if the rod was left in a boat for a very long period of time or even a very hot garage it could develpe a spine. The first tip off would be which way the curve goes. If the curve is in line with the guides, its probably a natural spine. If not it could be something else that caused it. How long was it in your posession and leaning on a wall? I have the top half of a Berkley rod holder screwed to my work bench and when Iam not actively working on a rod they stand vertical all the time.

Date: August 29, 2014 12:22AM

I only had the rod a few days when I noticed this eyesore of a bend. I must have leaned it a day or 2 and the sunlight might have got to it a few hours. I've had other rods that go on the back of a pickup truck in the hot sun and don't notice anything weird happen to it. You'd think that when one would be fishing the whole day in the sun that rod would not have any memory bend. Fishing lines do that. I may zip tie it to a pipe and keep it straight while I leave it in the place where sun get to it and see if it gets better. the bend almost followed the guide. Ill let you guys know how it turns out.

Date: August 29, 2014 10:34AM

Mel,
Not likely that anything that you do with the blank - whether in the sun or not - will have any effect whatsoever on the bend in the blank.

You have a bend in the blank - move on.

Be safe

Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: August 29, 2014 06:28PM

Hello,

Sometimes the way guides are oriented with a blank's natural curve make it hard to see where it bends, but once guides are removed any bend becomes much more obvious.
I once had a similar experience as you, thought I somehow had badly damaged the blank, then remembered it already had a prominent curve in it when I first wrapped it.

-chad

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 29, 2014 07:04PM

Put the guide on Finish it
Give it back and make shure you get your money for it

Move on---- Not your fault

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2014 07:07PM by bill boettcher.

Date: August 29, 2014 10:25PM

Alright will do.. thanks guys!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 30, 2014 08:10PM

Like said I have graphite rods leaning against a coner for a very loong time No reel bends made in them
It must have been from how it was made or even used
fix the guide The owner probable has no idea of it and it must work well for him
Not to worry --- like you have said Check before you build and anything you see - mension to the owner - so there is no trouble

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster