I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

U.V. sensitive epoxies
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 26, 2014 10:44AM

Sometimes it's necessary to replace a broken guide for use within hours. I have used U.V. light sensitive epoxies for finishing flies. It's expensive but it flows just like time-sensitive epoxies and while exposed to U.V. light it sets up completely in 70 to 80 seconds with a hard, non-yellowing finish. I searched this site for "U.V. sensitive epoxies" and "light sensitive epoxies" but got no hits. I would appreciate the thoughts of anyone who has used U.V. light sensitive epoxy to coat guide wrappings.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: U.V. sensitive epoxies
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 26, 2014 10:56AM

Ken Preston and Sammy Mickel have both used them. Sammy has one of the machines from Cork4US and uses it on a regular basis. You could contact either for their experiences, or perhaps they'll see this post and answer you here.

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.243.---)
Date: August 26, 2014 11:00AM

Look for posts by Ken Preston. He was/is investigating UV cured resins. Cork 4U, a sponsor, has a UV cure system that they have shown at the ICRBE for the last couple of years.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: August 26, 2014 02:37PM

Here is a product idea for someone to steal. ;)

Repair kits for tourney anglers. Sell em on T. Warehouse or Mudhole.

Small UV keychain light, little tube of the UV cure finish, couple razor blades, black thread with a fly tying bobbin, 1/4" tape roll.

Tourney angler can repair their rod in the hotel their staying at and be done in a matter of minutes. No drying motor or attention to the finish needed. No braided line with super glue repairs for rod builders to clean up.

And if you dont think this has a need, spend some time around tourney angling for a bit.

Threadmaster 1 almost had this but the hazing issue keeps me from using it.

Posted by: John Britt (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 27, 2014 09:14AM

Phil back when I was building and repairing rods for a business I purchased the Cork 4U machine,loved it could charge more for super fast repairs, there finish I believe is a varnish but works the same .The whole issue of UV cured products is rather complicated not something where you can just go out and grab a cheap machine and expect it to work all the time it involves wavelengths and finish set to cure using a particular wave length. Ken did a lot of expermenting with different devices.
One big caraveat the better machines are expensive and really not for someone looking to do fast repairs infrequently
John

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: September 01, 2014 09:45AM

UV cure for rod building / rod repair comes down to "How much do you want to spend as an initial investment and how long will it take to amortize (recover your investment)" My latest foray into UV cure for rod building using UV LED light source with transformer (none run off line voltage) and an UV cure CLEAR encapsulant and/or adhesive (4oz) with a fabricated reflector will cost you around $200.00. The LEDs have a life expectancy of 10,000 hours; they throw little / no heat. The set up will cure the encapsulant in just over 10 seconds from the time the light hits the goo. Upside: 1/ one part (no mixing/no worries over equal parts) 2/ brush it on anyway you like - allow the bubbles to escape before the UV hits it & never a bubble again 3/ light & easy to reposition (must be moved from area to area (each wrap must be cured separately - unless you want to spend BIG dollars - that is thousands) 4/ no worry over compatibility with "mains" voltage (many transformers today are multi-voltage). Downside - if your light source and curing material are not compatible (wave lenght and power) it will NOT cure. Yes - I've also looked at 'sun cure' UV as is used in surf board repair - too brittle and will craze over time.

As for the idea of a tournament fisherman doing his own repairs.......maaaaybeee and probably not. Most tournament guys are loaded with rods and they really don't want to sit in a hotel / motel room after a day on the water & repair rods. I have a couple of tournament fishermen as clients - they would rather bring me 2-8 rods at a time to repair over the course of a week. While I'm repairing they are on their way to the next tournament or already fishing. The fly head UV cement comes in a fast/hard and a slow/soft finish. The fast/hard is brittle and the slow/soft is 'stickly' - so include an alcohol wipe in that kit.

What I have been toying with is setting up a mobile repair facility in the back of a tag-along trailer. Doesn't have to be very big or fancy and power inverters could solve the power access issues dock-side. When I've spoken with charter captains guess what? They too don't mind dropping off rods for repair .. Plus they get to see 'new stuff' to drool over.

IF I get everything unpacked & reset up after our move to North Carolina - I'll bring my UV set up to the ICRBE ... but NO promises on that.

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: September 04, 2014 07:40PM

Thanks for letting me know the habits of a couple tourney fisherman you work with.

Good luck with the trailer idea.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: September 05, 2014 11:41PM

Adam -
Understand that there are other fishermen who would do their repairs - but those guys are doing what they can with what they've got - superglue over wraps coimg undone & electrical tape on reel seats - those too wind up in the 2-8 at a time category. The big money winners are sponsored by rod / reel manufacturers - I believe they just toss the rods out if they break and the sponsor provides a new one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster