I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

T H A N K Y O U TOM KIRKMAN
Posted by: Luis A. Garcia (---.lightspeed.snantx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 24, 2014 09:59AM

Thank you for your sensible answers/comments/suggestions; straightforward; direct; no nonsense. L. A. Garcia, author, "Handcrafting a Graphite Fly Rod".

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: T H A N K Y O U TOM KIRKMAN
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 24, 2014 02:42PM

Lou,
Glad to see you are still around. Yours was the first book I read on the subject. Actually - now that I think about it - the only one.
You are the reason I end my thread finish at the last wrap - and not overlapped onto the blank.
herb

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 24, 2014 03:30PM

Not for Nothing but that wat water can get under the thread and contact the feet of the guides ????
I think it is better to overlap to make sure the thread is sealed from the water - Better in saltwater
But what do I know

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 27, 2014 07:04PM

Hope I did not lead you in any wrong direction. My book is now in its 20th year. Maybe it will last a little bit longer.

Date: August 27, 2014 07:27PM

Bill B. Yes, Salt Water changes ALL the rules. Although I do not put any epoxy under the wraps I still do not get the wraps to lift. It may be because I wash my rods, every day, when fishing in salt water. Prolonged submersion of guides under the water, in any environment, will cause the finish to turn milky and as a minimum will need to be rewrapped. To be extra sure, in any environment, a total enclosure of the epoxy on the wraps, is advisable. For me it has to do more with the esthetics of rod building that I do what I do. I do not like to see a rod with so much epoxy on each wrap that each guide looks like it has a ball of epoxy wrapped around each foot.

In one extreme case of which I am personally aware there was a fly fisherman who went fishing with a rod made by a very well known company and in a salt water environment. He left his rod outside his cabin everyday and night while he was there. At the end of the trip his rod sock was damp from the humidity. He placed his rod in the sock and the sock into the fly rod tube with the intention of removing it when home. He forgot to remove the rod and sock from the case. About a year later he was getting ready to go back to his favorite salt water flat. He could not remove the cap. He resorted to pliers and while meeting with success it was at the cost of the tube which had to be replaced with a new one. But worse than that, even though the rod sock had dried, each and every guide had turned an opaque color and the expo finish looked like ice crystals, the handle had corroded and the wood of the reel seat had swelled to the point where he could no longer mount a reel. The company who made the rod refused to replace the rod and he was very upset. Unfortunately for him I sided with the company and then he was mad at me for having done so. He clearly showed irresponsible behavior and should not have been angry at anyone else for what was his grievous error. Nevertheless, he wound up purchasing a new rod so he could go on his trip. I do know if he behaved responsibly after that incident.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 27, 2014 09:09PM

Good equipment deserves good care. Unless you simply have more money than you know what to do with.

I remember this comment from a friend of mine, now long deceased - "A poor man can only afford the very best."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster