I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

4 Part Spinning Rod Blank ( does it exist ) ?
Posted by: Kenneth Olsen (---.242.34.95.customer.cdi.no)
Date: August 21, 2014 09:17AM

I haven't seen any 4 parts spinning rod blanks for sale. And that kinda makes me a little bit sad.
I love when a rod is around 9,6 to 10 feet long . And casting weight from 2-15 grams

I have seen 3 parts travel blanks on 7 feet , but it is to short for my use

Looks like the most common is 1 or 2 parts and rearly over 8 feet

Before i used 2 parts rods , but i didn't like it , because of the transportation length.
I had to take down the backseet in my car and it was to long when i walked in the dent forrest and was hitting everything

When i bought my first 4 parts 9,6f spinning rod it was like entering heaven ! easy transportation in the car , easy to take in the backpack when walking in the mountains.
and it cast like a good ! Since its a old rod now , like 4 year I was looking to build my own rod so i could get it my way. but i can't find any blanks.

there is a lot of fly rod blanks ( 4 parts ) , but the tip of the rod , when u compare it to a spinning rod, it kinda more loose. so i don't think that would make a great spinning rod
i could of course buy a new finished rod, but what is the fun of that ?

Any tips or hint ? maybe some new roods are coming this year ? and sorry for my bad english !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2014 09:26AM by Kenneth Olsen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 4 Part Spinning Rod Blank ( does it exist ) ?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 21, 2014 10:12AM

The St. Croix SC!!/IV blanks have exceptionally fast tips and might perform well as spinning rods.

Short of that, you can always make your own multi-piece rods.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 21, 2014 10:40AM

A four weight fly rod blank is designed to cast 120 grains (middle of weight range). 8 grams = 123 grains. Fly rod blanks range from slow to extra fast, there are a bunch of 4-piece fly rod blanks in the 8-9 foot range, and it doesn't matter to a rod blank what kind of weight it's casting, only how much weight. I second Tom's suggestion of a fast tip blank, which I believe could effectively handle a wider range of weight to be cast.

Date: August 21, 2014 11:38AM

The trouble there is, few 4-weight fly rods are actually designed to cast 120 grains. If they were, they'd all have roughly the same power and we know they don't.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: August 21, 2014 11:55AM

ITM travel rod blanks www.talongraphite.com they include steelhead, salmon, bass, carp, etc. blanks you have to email or call them for the best suggestion for you, the amount and variety of blanks available from them is huge. Angler's Workshop used to have travel blanks built by them in their catalog, not sure if they still do. Bet they still have access to Talon, just a few miles away from the shop, they may have a big list of the blanks. The 9 1/2 ft and similar length blanks designed for 4 to 8 lb. line we use for steelhead will throw 1/8 to 1/2 oz. as far as your guide, line, reel setup will allow. I also think blanks designed for gear are a bit more accurate throwing gear.
CTS from NZ also will make you a travel blank.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 21, 2014 02:15PM

120 grains = 0.27428571 ounce About 1/4 oz got to figure a fast 4 weight should do it
But you will probable have to test I would think a high end company

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 21, 2014 04:42PM

Tom has it right, but today's 4 wt. fly rod blank manufacturers still claim to be complying to 1960's AFTM specifications for a 4wt. rod: 120 grains optimum casting weight. The AFTM dissolved several decades ago, allowing subjective advertising claims such as "legendary feel" and "most powerful 4 wt." to replace objective measurements of a blank's physical characteristics. Ideally this would require a consumer to purchase several blanks to obtain one which satisfies the end user, no matter how sophisticated he or she might be.

Date: August 21, 2014 05:12PM

I think those specifications were for lines, not rods. I don't think any actual specifications were put in place for rods, although I might have missed it. The idea was that once lines were manufactured to a uniform standard, rods would naturally have to follow. They did for awhile, but it didn't last.

This is why you need to get a feel for the blank you have in mind, or access to the CCS numbers on it. Pity that more manufacturers won't use it, but most don't want you to be able to make objective comparisons. It takes the "magic" out of why their "4-weight" rod will cast further than the next company's 4-weight rod.

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: August 21, 2014 08:02PM

St Croix has some SCII blanks that are shorter than what your looking for, but there are in three pieces.

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Posted by: Sergiy Korniychuk (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: August 21, 2014 10:11PM

About a year ago i posted a question about converting fly blank to a spinning rod. I was looking for a bit more powerful and heavier rod then 1/5 oz. i ended up building 6 wt 8.6 4 pcs rod on cheap forecast blank. I actually loved it and as result built few more, this time for salmon fishing from piers in fall. Blanks were9 ft 9 and 10 wt forecast rx6, built as Spinning rods with pacbay micro running guides. They feel a bit different as spinning rods, but i actually like them more then any rods i have for salmon. 3/4-1oz spoons cast like a rocket

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 21, 2014 10:26PM

I just posted two 9'0", 4pc CTS casting blanks rated for 6-20 gm and 9-28gm.
$180 each - $300 for both. List is $300 each.
Herb

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 21, 2014 10:26PM

I just posted two 9'0", 4pc CTS casting blanks rated for 6-20 gm and 9-28gm.
$180 each - $300 for both. List is $300 each.
Herb

SORRY FOR DOUBLE POST!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2014 10:36PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Sonny Hernandez (67.186.100.---)
Date: August 21, 2014 11:12PM

DBlue Fishing carries 4 piece, 10' travel blanks. I, too, am looking for some travel surf rods and came across their options. Only a few reviews about their rods exist, but they all are positive.

As to the Angler's Workshop travel blank previously mentioned, I just ordered their 9' blank, but it is only available as a 3 piece blank. It just shipped recently so I can't give you any impressions of the blank. (was backordered for a month) But I believe Talon is their supplier of blanks and they have positive reviews on their products.

Posted by: Kenneth Olsen (---.242.34.95.customer.cdi.no)
Date: August 22, 2014 10:38AM

didn't expect so many replies :) have to look at alt the tips now !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster