I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Muskie Rod
Posted by: Andy Stromsness (192.193.171.---)
Date: August 20, 2014 10:16AM

Looking for some expert input. I have a couple guys who want me to put together a 9' XH Muskie casting rod for them. I've built some larger pike rods but not anything this big.

Recommenations welcome please.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Muskie Rod
Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 20, 2014 10:32AM

What baits are your customers going to be throwing with these rods? The intended purpose will dictate which blank will work best.

jeremy

Posted by: Andy Stromsness (192.193.171.---)
Date: August 20, 2014 10:45AM

Jeremy - both said they throw a lot of Bulldogs and other big plastics.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 20, 2014 12:48PM

Thorne Brothers in Minneapolis really specialize in Musky fishing.

Give Lonnie a call in the rod building department for very good advice on the blank and component choice for a great musky rods.

They have worked with St. Croix rods to bring out a line of Musky blanks that they call the "Predator" blanks. Really no better blank on the market for Musky fishing.

[www.thornebros.com]

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 20, 2014 12:52PM

For big rubber, here are my recommendations:

Tackle Industries 9' XXH
St Croix Legend Big Dawg (you can easily extend it to 9')
St Croix Premier 8'6" XH (you can easily extend it to 9')

I am in the middle of building a rod for my personal arsenal that is basically a Premier 8'6" XH extended to 9'5" with about 4" trimmed off the tip. I am building it to throw Pounders for an upcoming trip to St Clair. All testing points to this being a dynamite big rubber rod!

As Roger mentioned, Thorned Bros has their line of Predator blanks made by St Croix. They are very nice blanks, but also very expensive. If you're paying retail, they are cheaper than the St Croix Legends. If you are able to purchase them wholesale through a rod building business, the Legends are MUCH cheaper! If you decide to go with a Predator, the XH or XXH will work depending on the size of the bulldogs.

jeremy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2014 12:59PM by Jeremy Wagner.

Posted by: Trinity Lindseth (---.redlake.k12.mn.us)
Date: August 22, 2014 09:15AM

As a musky fisherman and rod builder I would recommend the St. Croix 9' "Big Nasty" blank. It is a legend tournament series SCIV blank. It will handle any bull dawg they want to throw, plus it is an awesome big bucktail blank as well. I have two of them that I built myself and use them for exactly what these guys are looking for. One always has a bucktail on it and the other usually has a bull dawg or top water bait of sorts on it. This is a very versatile blank...

Posted by: Bob Kraft (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 23, 2014 12:21PM

Obviously, you will be using a casting reel. I would highly recommend one of the spirel wrap guide set up of your choice. Torque is huge on a fully loaded muskie rod if your hooked up.

Date: August 25, 2014 01:04PM

Although Bob's advice can be very good, there are many Musky fishermen that do NOT want a Musky rod to be spiral wrapped.

It has to do with the way that the rod is cast and used for musky fishing. Yes, a spiral wrapped rod can take care of some issues, but for some Musky fishermen, they very much was a conventional wrapped rod.

So, always check with the client before building a rod that is out of the "norm".

Be safe

Date: August 25, 2014 01:04PM

Although Bob's advice can be very good, there are many Musky fishermen that do NOT want a Musky rod to be spiral wrapped.

It has to do with the way that the rod is cast and used for musky fishing. Yes, a spiral wrapped rod can take care of some issues, but for some Musky fishermen, they very much was a conventional wrapped rod.

So, always check with the client before building a rod that is out of the "norm".

Be safe

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.wavecable.com)
Date: August 25, 2014 04:33PM

Just to let you know, we have some IMU rod blanks that have been discontinued still out there. We even still have a few instock that any one of our retailers can special order it for you.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: August 26, 2014 09:26PM

I do a fair amount of muskie fishing and toss some 16oz bulldowgs and I use an 8'6" extra heavy competitor blank. Though I like the spiral wrap on bass rods I do not like it on my muskie rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster