I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question for Jim Ising
Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: August 19, 2014 06:50PM

Just to double check my work.

I'm using a Shimona 1000FD and the measurements are
A = 82.6 mm
B = 74.6 mm
C = 94.5 mm

I'm thinking of using the following guides with these distances from the spindle end.

KL10H = 18"
KL5.5M = 22.83"
choke point = 27.87"
followed by 4.5 micros

I know this set-up doesn't have a guide from the "stripper group" or one from the "reduction group 2" as shown in the latest literature, but the GPS software does make any sense because the stripper guide would be too close and the reduction group 2 guide is too close to the others that I've selected.

Looking forward to your comments please.

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question for Jim Ising
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 20, 2014 09:38AM

Chester, I'm going to guess you're using very light mono or braid with the 1000 and agree with your choice of a 10 stripper. Certainly worth a tape and test. I am aware of a group in Louisiana that consistently uses two guide KL-H reduction trains with no trouble at all. If the set up seems to restrict line flow too much, which I don't think it will, my next choice would be to go to regular KL frames. They will offer a larger ring in a lower frame.

Good luck

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: August 20, 2014 09:49AM

I forgot to mention that the line will be 8# braid.

I do have a rod that I made with a two guide KL-H set up that has a 500 series reel, but has 4# braid. I could string up some line on the 1000 and put onto my rod and give it a shot. I should have thought of this before.

Thanks Jim for getting back to me. I'll let you know if the set-up works.

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Posted by: Jeff Saxby (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 20, 2014 10:10AM

Chester, if I am reading your numbers correctly your stripper is closer to the 5.5 than is the choke. From a purely aesthetic point of view, I would look at using a 12 for the stripper to maintain increasing spacing from the smaller to larger guides. I doubt performance would change significantly either way. That said, if this works for you, go for it.

I have a number of rods set up for 1000 size Shimano reels using GPS that use 12-5.5-choke. They work great with light braid.

Date: August 20, 2014 11:44AM

Jeff, do you place the 12 where the 10 wants to be just for the extra height and set up across the bottom edge of the ring or do you move the 12 closer?

Posted by: Jeff Saxby (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 20, 2014 04:14PM

It could go either way. I don't think you would gain much by having the stripper much closer than 18 or 19 inches so I would try the 12 there and move the 5.5 to line up with the choke.

I concede this is purely aesthetic but it just doesn't fit my eye when guides don't get progressively further apart as you go towards the reel. I have even moved the choke guide further out than is suggested to maintain about equal spacing from the 5.5 to the choke and from the choke to the first running guide. I could see where moving the choke guide closer to the reel could eventually cause a problem, but I don't think moving it out a few inches causes any loss of performance.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 20, 2014 07:02PM

I think I am only one of a group in MI that uses two guide reduction trains, not only with KLH, but Y setups, too. Give them a try, you may be surprised.

Date: August 21, 2014 09:43AM

I picked up an old-er heavy power spinner yesterday to explain reduction trains to a new builder and realized I was building two-guide trains shortly after the KR CONCEPT was defined by FUJI. Some times the Rapid Choke idea just bumps that middle reducer right off the rod. And performance is not an issue, they seem to work as well or better in some cases.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster