I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Removing Wooden grips???
Posted by: Ernest Cameron (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 18, 2014 01:59AM

Ive built rods, and now Im refurbishing a graphite rod that has wooden grips, the problem is is that when you hold the rod the wood grips rattle, like the epoxy that was used was not enough...I need help, I have never dealt with wooden grips before, please help.

Thanks Ernest,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing Wooden grips???
Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: August 18, 2014 10:11AM

I would boils water in a pot deep enough to submerge the grip, and boil it for a few minutes. This often works, just protect you hands.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 18, 2014 10:13AM

If you don't mind ruining them, you can hit them on the end with a hammer and chisel and split them off.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 18, 2014 10:17AM

Hello Ernest.

Do you want to remove or just to better adhere the grip, if indeed you want to remove just take a cutting wheel and cut the grip down the length(as deep as you dare) on two sides, then take two screwdrivers insert into the slots you just cut and twist.

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 18, 2014 10:17AM

You have a couple of options.

The grip could be constructed solid to the blank, meaning there is no core or gap between the grip and the blank. However, if you are hearing rattling, then there is a gap and either a core or a shim of some sort between the blank and the grip. Sometimes these grips are built on aluminum tubing extensions and there could be material inside the extension, not the grip itself. A picture would be helpful.

If you can locate the section in the grip where the rattle is, you can carefully drill it out and fill that section with epoxy. The hole can be filled with a wood or cork plug, or sawdust mixed with epoxy, then sanded.

You can always remove it and replace with cork or another wood grip. To remove it, it's much like removing a reel seat. You'll need a dremel with a mini wood blade and carefully make a spiral cut in the wood around the grip and pry off with a flat blade screwdriver. The other option is to just cut off the blank at the front of the grip, and rebuild the grip section on a new piece of blank and fit it in to the existing one. The cut off method is the easiest in my experience if you have stock available to rebuild the grip on.

Keep us posted.

terry

Posted by: Ernest Cameron (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 22, 2014 01:56AM

Hi Terry, i was looking at the rod with a shaking wooden grip, turns out on closer inspection, it was the grip, but the grip is being held on with a pin that is at the top of the metal reel seat. I think you may be right in the fact the blank does not go through the reel seat and the lower grip. My question is how do you think I should go about fixing the rocking in the grip. Should I try to place shims on both sides to keep it centered, or do you think its a lost cause.

Thnks for any help,
Ernest Cameron

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster