I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

will alconites hold up to copper wire?
Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: August 15, 2014 06:43PM

Will Alconites hold up to copper wire?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: will alconites hold up to copper wire?
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 15, 2014 07:36PM

Use silicon nitride.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 15, 2014 07:41PM

Alconite guides (Al2O3) have a Vickers Hardness rating of 15.7. Solid copper wire has a Vickers Hardness rating of about 2.75. Under ordinary daily fishing conditions Alconite guides should hold up for a couple of hundred years.

Date: August 15, 2014 09:43PM

Thanks, I use SN but some of us rodbuilders were talking so I thought I would ask. Just the info I was looking for.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 15, 2014 09:44PM

Copper is pretty soft, surely it's some sort of copper alloy, but even then I doubt it's hard enough to cut or damage most ceramic rings.

Posted by: Lynn Leary (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 15, 2014 10:04PM

What fishing application would use copper wire?

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-131.myvzw.com)
Date: August 16, 2014 12:05AM

Electric eels?

Couldn't resist.......

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 16, 2014 03:37AM

GOOD ONE CHRIS!

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Scott Kelly (---.sub-70-198-133.myvzw.com)
Date: August 16, 2014 04:45AM

I know copper is used for trolling in the Great Lakes for salmon, similar to lead core. It adds weight to get the lure deeper depending on how much is let out.

And the electric eel comment got a chuckle here as well!

Date: August 16, 2014 06:57AM

Yes Great Lakes trolling for salmon and steelhead

Posted by: Lynn Leary (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 16, 2014 08:55AM

Electric Eels! I get it. Use copper wire and power your trolling motor. You guys who fish the Great Lakes think of everything.

Thanks for the reply and the laugh.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 16, 2014 03:35PM

In the day copper wire trollers would take a a wind-up, spring powered Victrola (record player) and replace the turntable with a spool to hold the copper line. It was at least as sporting and a whole lot more creative and cheaper than spending a thousand dollars or more for an electric reel, a three hundred dollar battery, and a "trophy" [unnecessary] rod to winch fish up from the depths.

Posted by: Bill Falconer (---.dhcp.unas.al.charter.com)
Date: August 17, 2014 08:43AM

Sergeant Butters -

You are gonna need a strike indicator more buoyant than yarn if you are going to a copper line...

Didn't James Taylor already cover this in a song?

Bill

Date: August 17, 2014 02:17PM

Bill,
Im up sizing. No more spider-web tippets and flies the size of dandruff. im fishing with copper wire and using a commercial net bouy for a strike indicator! Wait till you see the size of the flies Im tying!!!!!

Posted by: Tony Childs (---.sag.speednetllc.com)
Date: August 20, 2014 04:34PM

As everyone else said, the Alconites will last forever in regards to the wire damaging them through abraision. Copper trolling wire is very soft and even cheapo store trolling rod guides hold up against grooving. Having said that, you really should use SS boat guides. Copper line terminations are normally either albright knots or tiny SPRO swivels. With repeated use and abuse, these terminations become blunt and rough. They are really hard on ringed guides, and will soon start to punch out the rings. The large frontal radius of the SS rings and the lack of pressed in rings makes them work the best for copper wire applications, and on a plus side, they are cheap. Braided Stainless wire is an altogether different beast that does require SN guides.

Posted by: Tony Childs (---.sag.speednetllc.com)
Date: August 20, 2014 04:37PM

Oh, one other point about copper setups. Don't worry about any extra weight in these builds. With as much as 500 or more feet of copper line on a 800 Tekota or similar reel, weight isn't an issue. Aluminum reel seats are also a good idea because of the size of most copper reels which will almost certainly utilize reel seat clamps.

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: August 28, 2014 09:07AM

I also use the stainless steel boat rod guides on my copper trolling rod for the same reasons Tony has already described. Silicon Nitride for the braided wire.

Copper rod rigging can be quite elaborate with many splices - some of the splices being very large (some trollers will splice in Spro swivels). A typical rod might have a fluorocarbon leader spliced to copper, spliced to a short section of heavy mono (where the line is attached to a side planer release system), then spliced to superbraid backing then spliced to a few wraps of mono on the reel spool (to prevent the superbraid from slipping on the spool). The copper to fluorocarbon and heavy mono splices are particularly large and when landing large salmon these splices pass back and forth through the guides under a great deal of pressure. The impact of the splice (or swivel) at these points can shatter ceramic rings so it's best to go with a more durable guide able to withstand the impact. From a price performance standpoint, braced or unbraced stainless steel boat rod guides are ideal. I prefer braced because the bottom wire gives a third contact point to the ring compared to the unbraced with just two contact points (and as Tony mentions above weight should be a minimal concern on this particular build)

Size 10 runners and tip are about as small as I would recommend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2014 01:14PM by John E Powell.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster