I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

seeker gts70h spinning rod guide placement
Posted by: jim payne (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: August 13, 2014 04:19PM

Having a seeker Hercules gts70h built as a spinning rod. Any suggestions of how far to have the first guide from the reel seat? Using a 30 highframe for first guide and handle length is about 14 inches. Want the rod to cast well and not have line slap on the blank. Anyone have experience with this blank as a spinning rod? Any suggestions would be great. Will mostly use 50lb braid and maybe 65 at times

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: seeker gts70h spinning rod guide placement
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 13, 2014 04:34PM

Don't trust the builder ????
He probably comes here

Butt size is ( to start ) 1/2 the diameter of the spool face Goes 18 - 22" from the spool face ( again to start )
7' rod Start at 7 guides
Static test and TEST cast moving guides to get the best distance and performance I have extended them buy 4 inches people love them

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2014 04:42PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 13, 2014 04:42PM

Hey Jim. Install the handle, mount the reel in the seat, remove the spool and lay the spool axle along the edge of a table. Hold the 30 in position on the blank and slide it up and down the blank until the edge of the table is passing "through" the top of the guide ring. This is where your 30 "wants" to be. Where the rod leaves the edge of the table is where your choke guide "wants" to be. Bullseye the remaining reduction guides, static load the runners. Test, wrap, finish and ADD WATER!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 13, 2014 04:58PM

I thought he was having it built ??

But that is to the point

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: jim payne (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2014 07:06PM

Yeah im having someone build it for me but I like to have the first guide as high as possible to maximize casting. Going with A total of 5 guides. I usually fish longer rods where its not a problem to put it up higher. Il be fishing a vs275 and zeebaas zx27 with it. The 30 high frame works really well with 50lb on an 8'. Il pass any advice on to my builder and see what we can come up with. It's basically gonna be a whoop stick for big snook and reds around structure in heavy current. If it will cast 2oz far enough il use it for tarpon off the jetties. I like the idea of a shorter rod with a lot of low end power for controlling and moving big fish. All the long rods I have are fast with good backbone but they all bottom out and put a lot of leverage against me. I think this blank could be the cure for that

Posted by: jim payne (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2014 07:27PM

I am liking the idea of a 4 inch extension though.....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster