I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

belt/disc sander
Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: August 13, 2014 09:00AM

I'm considering a new combo belt/disc sander from Rockwell at a good price for when I need to get a perfectly level(flat) surface when making wood or cork rings from rough stock, as an example.
Anyone else use one of these in rodbuilding. I fail at getting tight seams between parts sanding by hand. Using a block, for example. Any other fool(that would be me)proof technique?
Thanks again for all the help you great people have been sharing with me as of late.
HT

Harry T. Bell

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: belt/disc sander
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 13, 2014 09:03AM

I have two standing belt/disc sanders. One is a large commercial unit and the other is a small Delta tabletop model. I find it useful for squaring edges of cut reel seats and for dressing guide feet (belt). In fact, sanding guide feet on a 100 to 120 grit belt is much easier than doing it on a grinding wheel or with a file. I think you'd find it to be a useful tool in rod building, and maybe for other tasks around the house.

Date: August 13, 2014 09:05AM

Thanks, Tom. Here goes another purchase....

Posted by: gary Marquardt (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2014 09:46AM

Harry, I may have a spare table top belt/ disc sander in the garage. It's yours for the asking.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2014 12:51PM

Harry,
I have several belt and disk sanders in the work place and find them all useful.

I have a couple of 42x1 inch belt sanders - all equipped with 3600 rpm motors. I find that the original 1750 rpm motors were too slow for excellent sanding. I find that a power sander works much better if one uses fine grit sand paper with a light touch at high speed, than a heavier grit paper used at slow speed.

Then, a couple of 8 inch disk sanders.

Also, a 30 x1 inch belt sander that I use for a variety of things including knife sharpening, guide prep and general truing.

I also had an issue when I wanted to get the end of a cork gripped rod grip perfectly true and set to 90 degrees with respect to the blank. I had an extra 8 inch disk sander in the shop, so I dedicated this sander to just truing up the ends of rod by installing a cross vise on the bed of the sander as follows:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The cork grip is secured into the cross vise, and then the cross vise is advanced by means of the threaded rods on the vise to move the end of the grip across the face of the spinning sanding disk. If necessary, the other threaded rod is rotated to move the end of the grip in and out to and from the face of the spinning grip.

Before using the cross vise, I would use my disk sander with a sliding miter gauge, but of the handle was tapered, I would sometimes end up with a grip that did not have an end on it that was perpendicular to the end of the blank. The vise eliminated that issue.

Be safe

Date: August 17, 2014 04:45PM

Gary.
Just now read your post. I just came in after setting up the new Rockwell belt/disc sander I bought. Arughhhh!!!! Thanks for the offer, buddy.

Date: August 17, 2014 04:45PM

Gary.
Just now read your post. I just came in after setting up the new Rockwell belt/disc sander I bought. Arughhhh!!!! Thanks for the offer, buddy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster