I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Horrocks Ibbotson fly rod help needed
Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 12, 2014 08:43PM

Have a customer that brought me an antique fly rod to have some guides put on it. Although I have built a few fly rods, they aren't what I usually make and I am not by any means up on antique fly rods. According to her it is a Horrocks Ibbotson bamboo rod made in 1930. She wants guides put on and in the origional color which she says is green and red.

The rod is 9 ft long three piece and has ,as I can see, only five guides on it. The reason I say as I can see is that she brought it to me with only the stripper guide on it. Looking at the rod I see by the difference in color on the blank that they were all double foot guides. The problem is that I don't have a clue as to what size the origional guides might have been. The tip measures a 6.5 tube size.

The thread like she says was green and red. Although the stripper guide has brown thread on it. I have seen a few on Google images but its really hard to tell the shade from those photos.

This is not a restoration project. She wants to use it but I would like to get components as close to origional as possible. I plan on using Permagloss as I believe this is what was used back then too.

If anyone knows what size and material the guides were and the thread color used on this beautiful old rod I would greatly appreciate it

Tom

tomscustomrods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Horrocks Ibbotson fly rod help needed
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 12, 2014 08:57PM

Permagloss wasn't around in 1930, but it will give you the same look as the varnish used at that time without requiring recoating every few seasons.

Those rods didn't have many guides - they weren't exactly high end models, but fished fine. Snake guides don't cost very much so I'd get a selection and then match them to the spaces showing on the rod based on guide foot length. Most likely they were small, probably size 3 and 2's.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: August 12, 2014 09:11PM

There should be a model name written in white ink . Give me the name and I'll look up the original colors for you. Send me a message . I've got thousands of vintage guides. I've got an H and I on the bench right now. I can measure them as a reference for your rod.
For finish go with spar varnish. Hit the thread with a couple of coats of CP then two of three coats or varnish.
If you have more questions just message me. I do these all the time.

Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: August 13, 2014 09:04AM

Great advice, as usual, Gary. Currently building a couple fly rods(graphite) so I'll most likely be reaching out to you myself.

Date: August 13, 2014 09:27AM

Gary the only decal left on the rod is a partial diamond with Utica NY in it. The owner seemed to think that it ws a Roosevelt but nothing on the rod indicates that. If you would measure the guides on your rod it would be great.

Thanks for yor advice and help.

Tom

Date: August 13, 2014 09:44AM

Ok Tom, a diamond decal with Utica in it is an early 1930's vintage. The Roosevelt of that era was wrapped in Chinese red Gudibrod 326. Tipped with Anitque gold. Also should have some wide intermediates tipped in gold.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 13, 2014 02:25PM

If anyone "uses" this rod for anything more than a display they will be rapidly disappointed. A 90-year-old low-end bamboo rod can't endure much flexing or strain.

If anyone "uses" this rod for anything more than a display they will be rapidly disappointed. A 90-year-old low-end bamboo rod can't endure much flexing or strain.

Date: August 13, 2014 04:51PM

Gary that is a great help. Yes it had intermediate wraps which are gone too. Another question if you don't mind. The stripper guide which is still on the rod was wrapped on one foot then the thread spiraled to the other foot. I was wondering, do you know if they all were wrapped that way? She indicated too that the wraps were green and red would that have made it a different model?

And Phil I will certainly relay your comments to her. Good advice, thanks.

Thanks

Tom

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 13, 2014 05:09PM

Phil
Makes a good point 90 years old The glue that holds the strips together Can Not Be Any Good ?????

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 13, 2014 10:23PM

Tom, green with red tipping would make it a Fairy model. Red with green tipping could make it an Ike Walton. Or a Comador. Since there is no name make it however she wants.

I will disagree with others on it being a wall hanger . One of my favorite rods is a 1933 Heddon. Granted the H and I clay have less guides but if the ferrules are solid, tight and not cracked and there are no splits in the cane it will still be good to go. I can't tell you how many of these I've redone and never had one come back.

Posted by: sam fox (108.59.99.---)
Date: August 14, 2014 10:58AM

I will have to say that I have done restorations on forty or 50 old bamboo hardware quality rods like this and 90 % of them are still in service including one Calcutta cane rod, over 100 years old. True, you may have to do work if the old glue is bad and it has become delaminated, but it can be done.

Posted by: sam fox (108.59.99.---)
Date: August 14, 2014 10:58AM

I will have to say that I have done restorations on forty or 50 old bamboo hardware quality rods like this and 90 % of them are still in service including one Calcutta cane rod, over 100 years old. True, you may have to do work if the old glue is bad and it has become delaminated, but it can be done.

Date: August 14, 2014 04:44PM

Sam and Gary
Good points
I have had several bam boo blanks make from different builders One was a Swelled butt Which I send back and got a Non swelled blank in return Got the builders from a known bam boo site
Then also learning that the only way to tell what kind of cane is used is to rip it apart and check the power fibers of the strips Had to heat them up to get the flats streight That should be a given and I should not have to do this

Good learning process I thought bam boo builders had Respect for bam boo Guess the only way to get what I would want is to build them myself
Seems they built bam boo rods the right way - years ago

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: August 14, 2014 07:39PM

I have seen Gary's work, he is top notch.

Date: August 15, 2014 11:50AM

Gary was the first one I emailed he was loaded with work

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 15, 2014 01:47PM

Gary has offered to measure the rod on his bench for me and is sending me some antique guides. Looks like I'll be in great shape I appreciate his advice and thoughtfullness

Tom

Posted by: gary Marquardt (199.176.232.---)
Date: August 15, 2014 09:40PM

Yep Bill I still am kind of slammed with bamboo work. Just when I thought the bench was clear....... A guy comes over with something like 15 rods that he wants all done. I told him 5 at a time.

Date: August 16, 2014 04:19PM

And I would not be supprised if he wants a discount

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster