I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

another MicroWave guide question: spool diameter
Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.richland.edu)
Date: August 12, 2014 12:37PM

What effect does reel spool size have on spacing for the butt guide? I have a set on hand for my next build, and am thinking I want to build for a 30 size Quantum Energy PT reel. This is the reel from my collection with the largest spool diameter.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: another MicroWave guide question: spool diameter
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 12, 2014 12:48PM

Spool diameter plays a role as does line size and type. Smaller spools and/or smaller-limper line can generally stand having the butt guide a little closer, while larger spools and/or larger-stiff line require the butt guide be a little farther out.

The Quantum 30 isn't extremely large. I'd start with the spacing provided with the MIcroWave guide set and cast it a bit. Then move the guide in two inches, cast a few more times, then push it out a couple beyond where you started and try that. If one seems better than another, go with it. You may find, however, that the recommended spacing works very well.

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.richland.edu)
Date: August 12, 2014 01:09PM

Thanks for the super fast response.

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 12, 2014 02:04PM

We have found that the provided spacing works very well for size 1000-4000 reels. Please by all means do not be afraid to play with stripper spacing by an inch or so. We would love to hear your feedback as well. Thanks.

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 13, 2014 09:25AM

Don @ American Tackle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We have found that the provided spacing works very
> well for size 1000-4000 reels. Please by all means
> do not be afraid to play with stripper spacing by
> an inch or so. We would love to hear your feedback
> as well. Thanks.

This is what I did with the first Microwave rod I built: start with the recommendations, and do copious amounts of test casting, moving the guides around, to see what works best. You don't want to get lost in Theory: always let what you see in front of you dictate how to build the best rod.

And now the guy wants another one from me. I'm really sold on the benefits of these guides.

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 13, 2014 11:29AM

That's great news Chris.... we hear stories like that everyday.

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Howard Christian (---.dhcp.snfr.nc.charter.com)
Date: August 15, 2014 05:56PM

I am also looking to start a rod. I have not built a rod in 30 years. Prior to this layoff I built maybe 20 total. I am not concerned about gearing up for building. I have some things I can use to spin it or I may just do this one by hand. My question is about spacing. I don't want to hijack this thread in any way so please tell me if I should start another thread-this is my first post BTW.
In speaking with a guy that has done a few rods with the micro guide he tells me they are super tiny which makes sense. How do people mount thse tiny guides for testing? I will use a 200 series reel but this isn't very helpful because of the variation in the height AND the spool sizes change from manufacturer to manufacturer. I am also concerned about getting the first 2-3 guides (or just the stripper???) correct and have heard that the spool diameter and spacing of the guides will "limit" the rod to a certain size reel. Is this a hard fast rule?
Again please let me know if it is OK to put this question along with this thread or tell me to start another.
Thanks

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 16, 2014 10:41AM

Howard,
Folks use masking tape, elastic thread, rubber bands, and my favorite is the use of small elastic bands used for dental work. You can obtain tiny bands in diameters down to .1 in or so. Slide enough bands on the rod to take care of any current or future testing needs. Slip the guide of choice under the band, and do your line tests. As you wrap, and get the guide held in place, use a sharp pair of nippers to cut the band so that you can finish the wrap.

If you space the first or stripper guide as far as needed for the largest size reel planned to be used on the rod, you can always use a smaller reel with the same setup. Normally an initial spacing of 20 inches from the face of the reel is close to a good starting point for the Microwave guide. Carry on from that point.

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster