I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Water slide decal paper
Posted by: Mike C. (---.nas1.minneapolis1.mn.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: November 06, 2001 09:46PM

Hello, I am wondering if anybody could tell me the product number of the Walthers water slide decal paper they have used with good results with their Alps printer's. I noticed on their website they had a few sheets of blank decal paper (I am assuming that these are blank waterslide papers as they were at the end of their water slide decal section). One is #706821 and is listed as a dull finish, and the other is #706822 which is listed as shiny finish. Which one is best dull or shiny (or is this vinyl paper). Also does anyone have any comments on the Papilio water slide paper or Bel Decal (selling on @#$%& for use on models) water slide paper? Any info would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Water slide decal paper..Attn John Britt..
Posted by: Harv (---.penn.com)
Date: November 06, 2001 11:32PM

John..
Last spring,you sent me some decals you made on Walthers paper,& I was to test the decals/ink with crystal coat finish.I did,& as we displayed at the National,the crystal coat went over the decals with no problems of lifting/smearing the ink..(( The decals were put on a WHITE blank)).

After setting all summer on the porch of my shop, Ive noticed that the decal paper ambered a great amount.. The image itself is still nice, & the finish itself did NOT amber at all against the white blank..but the paper around the image DID. Hmmm...

So,I'll offer a warning against decals on a WHITE blank until different papers /finishes are tested. GOOD PROJECT for you John ! LOL

Since you're in sunny Florida

I have used the Pompilio water slide paper & have had good luck,but,it IS a thicker paper than the Walthers. Not thick enough to cause a problem seeing the edges of the paper...to me.Much thinner than the 'commercial' decals available.

FWIW...

Posted by: Steve (---.akzo-nobel.com)
Date: November 07, 2001 12:40AM

I've been tinkering around with the PS2 Papilio water slide decal paper and found that once you apply the decal put on a coat of c.p. and then finsh per normal after the c.p. has dried. All of my tests have been using LS Supreme or Perma-Gloss as a finish. As for the Perma-Gloss it will lift the ink. I tried c.p. and Krylon clear finsh as a protective coating and neither worked. I tried LS Supreme with the Krylon and that didn't turn out too well either. So the best I've done with it so far is a coat of c.p. and then finsh with LS Supreme by just letting the finish drip off the brush onto the decal. I did not make any brush strokes. With the Papilio paper I had to mirror the decal and then print it. It puts the decal between the paper and the blank.

Hope this may help,
Steve

Posted by: Roert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 07, 2001 03:48AM

Can you give me a address or email for this paper
Thanks Bob

Re: Water slide decal paper.
Posted by: Harv (---.penn.com)
Date: November 07, 2001 07:50AM

I'd expect that with perma-gloss..very 'hot' finish.
Using the 'mirror' feature is a good idea-but , will that technique work if a white undercoat is needed for non-metallic colors?? The white would then be on top?

PAS/2 waterslide decal paper

item : PAS8511G (8 sheets 8.5 X 11)

www.papilio.com

HPS
P.O. Box 1507
Lake Dallas,TX 75065

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2001 08:44AM

Ok will try to answer all
Mike the walthers paper I have been using is # 934-706821-Matte finish the other may work good also I just got some to try and haven't yet had the chance to test it.
Robert the URL is www.walthers.com
Harv check you e mail-I tried the decals over white this spring with the same results only I used Flex Coat and the old Duragloss- the decal applied directly on the blank yellowed far more then normal with both finishes a second decal on the same blank was applied over thread which had the same finishes applied and it did not yellow.Definite problem when used directly over the white blank,I have not tried the vinyl paper as yet over white.
Steve word of advice do not use Permagloss over decals the solvents in it will lift almost any decal. There should be no need to use CP some paper companies recomend a fixer for the decal which make them easier to apply and set faster but CP is not needed nor recommended.The other papers mentioned I have tried and personally did not like the results,that don't mean they were bad I just felt the Walthers was better.The only other comment now is don't try the Papilio vinyl paper made for the Alps, those test were terrible as bad as using Avery paper.
I am in the process of testing a new water slide paper that cost less the walthers and will post results when they are finished.
John

Posted by: Rob (65.82.96.---)
Date: November 07, 2001 10:21AM

Is this paper compatible with laser jet printers or is it specifically used for Alps?

I've looked on the Web and found several temp tattoo and waterslide papers that are compatible with laser jet printers, but they offer white, black, clear, matte, ect, and are fairly expensive. I don't want to pay for a hard lesson--been there, done that with Avery labels.

Anyone out there use waterslide paper and laser jet printers for images with good results?

Date: November 07, 2001 10:54AM

Rob
the paper mentioned is really designed for ink jets printers it will work fine with the Alps also,using lasser printers opens up a different aspect,best advice would be any time you see any type of transfer material check with the manufacturer of the printer and the paper company.Lasers use a considerable amount of heat and this can cause problems with many papers.most noteably causing the paper to seperate during printing which can easily damage the printer.There is a gentleman named Chris from the UK who uses a lasser and gave a demo at the national rodcrafters seminar,you might direct the question to him as to what he uses on the Rodcrafters board a link can be found to it on the left column.

Posted by: Rob (65.82.96.---)
Date: November 07, 2001 06:48PM

Thanks John, will do. I've been so fed up attempting to print quality images, I contacted a press about doing some for me on prism tape. I've got great fish images and logos, just can't print them worth a darn. Anyway, the printer said he can do it--and the cost was really reasonable--after the six thousand-dollar set up fee. Anyone want to buy a stunning fish label? Only 50 bucks each... Better hurry, they're going quick!

Posted by: Solly G (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: November 08, 2001 12:32AM

I found that the Walthers matte finish decal paper show less lines
on satin finish blanks and the gloss finish decal paper on glossy blanks has the same effect.
Has anybody tried the Inkjet decal paper offered by Walthers
(# 768-5020) on the Alps or on the regular inkjet printers?

Posted by: Steve (---.mobile1.al.home.com)
Date: November 08, 2001 08:26AM

John,
I tried the decal with out cp and the LS Supreme made the ink crack even though the decal was mirrored. I failed to mention I was only trying inscriptions with the water slide paper. So, that means you probably couldn't mirror images using the undercoat feature on the ALPS. But the results of using the cp on the inscription before the finish turned out very nice. Can't even see the edges of the decal paper.

Steve

Date: November 08, 2001 09:00AM

Steve as I said I tried the various papers and thus far the walthers has been the best,you might try reading the post by Solly re her results,sometimes the student can teach the teacher.LOL I just received a different paper and will try it ASAP it looks very promising and will cost less then the Walthers.I have used the old duragloss, flex coat and LS2000, LS supreme with no problems at all brushing any way,although length wise brushing will give a more level coat.
No need to mirror with the walthers paper one benefit is for inscriptions you can use any word processing software and the printer driver will allow you to print in color,white or metallic.
John

Posted by: Ron (---.houston.rr.com)
Date: November 13, 2001 09:43AM

Guys - I have used the paper offered by Micro-Mark and I have been very pleased. I use an HP Laser jet [yes it generates a lot of heat] and have been quite satisifed with the results. Not all of the transfers came out, but that was so few, it was no problem. I used a fixative to set the water slide decal, let it dry, then used flex coat, it came out very well!! Even tore one , slid it back together, dryed it, coated it, it was good!! I try to stay away from white blanks all together, I personally like black, blue and honey - more options, less hassle, but I did do one white blank with a coat of arms a guy wanted on his rod, worked good, but the flex coat yellows over time taking away the luster of the personalization.

Issues- you have to print a whole page of decals. At the price of the paper that might get expensive for some. On the other hand, preplanning on what you print will help tremendously. I printed several variations of decals, mostly fish and some scripted logos for my rods.

As a note - Clemens made some decals for me a few years ago and those are the best I have found ever - dont know how they do it, but it is very good.

Ya'll keep the info flowing - I am very interested, but watching, my brief foray was interesting

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster